Friday 24 January 2014

Abandoned

Whilst out walking our dog this morning, I met another regular dog walker just coming back from their walk, who was telling me that they had happened upon an abandoned dog this morning.  It was quite a young dog and had been left tied to a bench by it's lead, no sight or sound of an owner.  They were really saddened by it as was I, as they said it was a lovely dog, very friendly and playful and they was concerned for it's future.

They did the only sensible thing a dog lover could do and took the dog to the local dog warden, which isn't too far away.  I can only imagine how desperate you must be, to do such a thing to a poor  animal.  Whilst I'm not suggesting this is the situation in this case, as I really don't know the circumstances of the dog's owners, I imagine that the dog rescue homes are full of dogs at this time of year, cast aside like toys after Christmas by people who found them harder work to look after than they imagined.  It's very saddening.  I hope a place can be found for it in a dogs home somewhere, so that it at least has a chance of being rehomed with someone else who can give it the love and care it deserves.  If I hear any more about it I'll keep you posted.

4 comments:

  1. That's so sad. At least they left the dog tied in a public place to be found safely. I'd have taken it home; I've found so many lost dogs during my walks but never an abandoned one. Sad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad. I just hope there's room in the rescue homes so it has a chance of a new life.

      Delete
  2. That's very sad. I hope the dog finds a lovely new home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I couldn't bear to part with our dog, but I can understand that sometimes peoples' circumstances are just very difficult. Family breakups, poverty, all sorts of things. I was grateful that our dog's breeders said they would always take our dog back if ever we couldn't manage to give her a home, not that I would want to give her back of course, but at least you have that option if your circumstances changed drastically.

      Delete