Sunday 26 March 2017

This Weekend

This weekend has been one of those wonderfully productive ones where you feel that your time has been well spent.

As mentioned in yesterday's post, Friday afternoon and Saturday morning were spent at the allotment, finally getting it up to scratch and ready for planting out and sowing. (More in another post)

The weather was glorious. Sunshine all weekend.  It's amazing that a bit of sun can make such a difference. Being out at the allotment and out in the garden, I realised how much I'd been stuck inside all winter, spending most of my time on the computer.  It was so good to sit out in the garden and feel the heat of the sun on my face.  It feels like it's been a long time coming.

As a consequence of the better weather, my gardening mojo came back, and on Sunday, I finally bought the compost I needed to do a few small repotting jobs that I'd been meaning to do for a while.

I also planted out some petit pois pea plants into one of the raised beds, from a tray I bought from Lidl for £2.29 a few weeks ago. There were so many plants in the tray, I've still got lots more to plant out. I'm waiting to see if the foxes disturb the first planting, so at least I can try again if they do. They are tiny, spindly things at the moment so I'm hoping they'll bush out given time.



I moved some lettuce seedlings that had overwintered in one of the raised beds. Spreading them out a little more to give them room to grow. 

I also took advantage of the sunshine to get around to washing all of my dirty garden pots.  I always leave them until spring and do them on the first sunny day we get if I have time.  There weren't as many as I thought there were going to be, so it didn't take long and then I re-used them to sow some seeds in the greenhouse.



Having done this, it cleared the way for me to move the potting table to the end of the garden in readiness for building work later this year.  The greenhouse will be the next thing to be moved to this area.  We just need to sort out the fence as, behind the panel our opposite neighbour to the rear has removed the fence panel without any discussion and left this matting type panel suspended in mid air practically. Needless to say, I'm not very impressed.


Anyway, the decking area now seems so much bigger.  More space to sit out and enjoy the sunshine while we have it. I got the garden chairs out of the shed to facilitate this.


I put a couple under the cherry tree too.



I now feel ready to go on holiday in a week or so, knowing that I've caught up on all of these jobs and don't have them all to come back to.  Next weekend is going to be all about the packing.

Loving the spring now it's finally sprung. How was your weekend?


10 comments:

  1. It has been a perfect weekend in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things are looking up here and we are hopeful about actually getting into the yard next weekend and doing some clean up. Perhaps a bbq as well.

    Wow how quickly your holiday arrived.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck getting into your garden in the very near future. Your winter has certainly been more extreme than ours.

      Delete
  3. I spent a lot of time in various gardens this weekend. We did a little bit in our garden and started work on the new bed. I think I might grow a little bit of veg, but in pots at the side of the garden rather than have them take up lots of space in the main garden area. Felt great to be outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck growing veg in pots. Keep us posted about your progress. I saw some rainbow chard grown in pots on a canal boat this morning and thought it looked really good.

      Delete
  4. The spring sunshine is so welcome. Not much done in the garden just dead heading & grass cutting !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully no grass cutting for us anymore, but I do wish we'd gone for astro turf around our raised beds instead of bark chippings, as the dog just disperses the stuff and leaves paths of the plastic sheeting visible.

      Delete
  5. The sun is so lovely, isn't it! You look like you are doing well! I SOOOo should wash plant pots! So hard to motivate myself to do it but yes, the sun should be the catalyst!!!!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it. I always feel ready for the growing season when I get this job done.

      Delete