Sunday 19 March 2017

CS Update

Life at the CS has been steadily improving over the last few weeks. As a consequence, and you can probably tell this from the variety and number of posts I've been publishing lately, I've found myself with free time to actually get on and do jobs at home, that I've neglected for a long time. This has been very satisfying on many levels and has allowed me to strike a much better balance.

The main reason for the improvements, has been that the new manager has started a volunteer recruitment campaign and we've had quite a few people through the door enquiring about volunteering. I've been pleasantly surprised by how many people are actually happy to volunteer, as we've never had a recruitment push since I've volunteered there.

Anyway, a few new volunteers have already started, which has reduced the pressure on long standing volunteers to fill the gaps in shifts. The manager is looking for people who can give a longer term commitment, rather than be able to stay for just a couple of months. I can see his logic, as quite a lot of time and effort goes into training people, so the longer they are willing to stay the better.  Although there are no guarantees with any volunteer, making clear the minimum amount of commitment you are looking for in the outset will help to make the staffing of the shop easier and more sustainable in the long term.

Next week, the manager is on holiday, so I'm expecting to work a few extra hours, mainly to stay and help cash up of an evening, as the afternoons tend to have less volunteers than mornings.  I don't mind too much, as everyone needs a holiday and new volunteers don't necessarily have the experience to take on some responsibilities. Having said this, I haven't done this very often, as I usually leave before the shop closes, so it's good experience for me too.

I may volunteer to go in on the Saturday, as a one off, which I haven't done before, as the manager was struggling to fill this particular shift. Both myself and another long term volunteer are away from the shop in a few weeks time for a week, so I feel it's the least I can do before I go.

The nice weather makes such a difference to the commute too. London is like a completely different place when the sun shines.  People's moods seem to be lifted and they appear much happier going about their daily business. People sit out in bars and cafes and enjoy the warm weather and the whole atmosphere is a little more congenial.

8 comments:

  1. I'm pleased it is working out for you now and you are finding time for yourself as well as making this commitment. I hope you find some volunteers that will stay the course - I know my sister in law struggles sometimes with people coming and going at her charity shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes I'm enjoying it again. That one extra day a week becomes a tipping point for me.

      Delete
  2. I am glad that there is a volunteer push going on. Many a time volunteers just get burnt out because of over working.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do and managers too. I was speaking to another manager yesterday who has resigned, as the job didn't allow her any time for anything else in her life.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you are under less pressure at the CS and have more volunteers.
    When the sun is shining it does lighten moods x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penny, it's going okay at the moment, fingers crossed. As you know yourself it can change very quickly.

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear your manager is having a volunteer drive, the worst thing a manager can do is stretch volunteers too much.

    The next few weeks should be interesting at my shop, the manager is leaving this week so we'll be getting someone new. There is a rumour going around who the new manager will be (it doesn't appear the job had been widely advertised) and if it's true I think we may have quite a turn around of volunteers. We shall see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I hope you don't have a mass exodus of volunteers. Keep us posted if you can.

      Delete