As mentioned in my post last week, I managed to get about one third of the way around the plot the previous Friday afternoon, (see picture above) so last Friday, I was hoping to get at least another third done, so that I could start sowing and putting plants in. The spring inspections are at the end of the month, so time is running out.
It was a bit of a grey, cold day, but there was no rain forecast, so I figured I'd soon warm up once I got digging. I most certainly did as the sun decided to come out whilst I was there, which made a big difference.
Digging isn't my favourite task, nor is it the most exciting task, especially combined with the weeding that was necessary, but I know it's worth persevering, as the real work of creating my new plot can begin once it's done.
I have to admit that although I think I'm reasonably fit, when I start digging at the allotment, I feel like a very old lady. I stiffen up almost immediately, because of all the bending and stretching. It is such hard work, especially as the ground was still a bit wet after rain this week, so it was pretty heavy going. I kept plodding on for about 3-4 hours on this visit and managed to get three quarters of the way around the plot.
I also managed to sew a few seeds this visit; lettuce, curly kale and parsley. There were already some broad bean plants and onions in that I had overwintered. I just needed to weed around them.
Onions and broad beans that overwintered
I was completely exhausted by the time I got home, so I decided to go to bed for a nap. I think I just overdid it. As a consequence, OH volunteered to come back with me on Saturday and finish the digging, as well as planting my potato tubers for me. (He always does a better job than I do).
Potato tubers in and earthed up
We went back on Saturday morning and whilst OH started digging over the last two beds, I transplanted some rhubarb, gooseberry and blackcurrant plants into the one of the dug beds. I'd salvaged these from my old plot before I left.
Perennial Fruit Bed
I also sowed some more seeds and planted out some petit pois plants that I'd bought from Lidl a few weeks ago. I don't know if they'll thrive, but I gave them a shot.
We were probably on the plot for just a couple of hours on Saturday morning and finally finished digging it all over. It was such a relief to get it done. We then headed home for bacon sandwiches as a treat for all our hard work.
Now the interesting bit begins. Growing food.
An overall view of the whole plot
Here's a picture of the plot now. As you can see its pretty much a blank canvas save for what I we planted and sowed. I still need to devise a solution for the paths between the beds. I'm not sure what yet, as I don't really want to spend any money, or at least not much.
In any case, it will have to wait now, until we get back from holiday. I probably won't be able to do any more work on the plot until after Easter, but least there should be a few things growing by then.
I'll keep you posted on future progress.