It's been a funny old weekend this weekend. Friday night LB was out with her friends and OH was out meeting a client, so at 5.30pm I sat down to watch a film on Catch Up that wouldn't be available any longer if I didn't watch it that night. It was called My Old Lady and starred Maggie Smith and Kevin Kline. I really enjoyed it.
In fact, Friday night was actually a really enjoyable lazy night in. Once OH got back, we had pizza in front of the TV for supper and watched a couple of episodes of The Break on Netflix. Sometimes it's just got to be done.
On Saturday morning, I had a bit of a lie in to finish the book I was reading, then got up and ready and started to tackle a couple of tasks that I hadn't managed to do during the week.
When I came downstairs, I noticed that the salad seeds I'd planted the other day in one of my vegetable beds had been disturbed by foxes. I'd put bubble wrap over cloche hoops to protect them, but with the stormy weather of late, it had all blown off and they were left exposed, allowing the foxes in. Angered by this, I decide to rebuild the protective cloches, tidy up both beds, sow a few more seeds, and more importantly try to prevent anything getting access again. As the sun was shining for probably the first time this week, it was the perfect time to get out there.
The result looks a bit of dogs dinner, but hopefully it will do the job until I can afford something that looks a bit more attractive. I have seen some dome cloches on line that would just about fit the beds, and I might invest in them, but they are £30 each, and I can't afford them at the moment. If they keep foxes and cats out (I found a dog bag full of cat faeces in one bed), I will, however, be happy to pay for them.
After being out in the garden, I decided to have a sort through of all my seeds, ready for sowing in the next couple of weeks. I had lots of very old seeds that were just not worth keeping anymore. I don't have the time or patience to see if they come through and would prefer to save time by just using seeds that are in date and will most likely germinate. As a consequence, a whole heap of seeds got thrown away, but it is something that I probably should have done a long time ago. Sometimes you can try to be too frugal for your own good and it just doesn't pay.
Another job that needed doing was to get LB's bank account working for her, by activating her debit card before it ran out of time, requesting a new pin to use with it and getting her set up with a telephone banking security number. It was all new to her and she didn't know what to do, so I rang up and did what I could and then handed the phone over to her. If you want a bank account, you just have to get used to all the procedures that go with it. Eventually, it all got done and now we're just waiting for the new pin to arrive before she can start using her new debit card.
The next job was to arrange an appointment at the vet for the dog, whose skin had reacted to the tick that the vet found on her the other day. We went to a different vet closer to home, who was open on Saturday afternoons, who we previously attended with her when she was a puppy. The only problem was, they had none of the medicines she needs, so I've got to go back in the week for them which is annoying.
I did have a bit of a fall in the vet's, I tripped over the dog scale on the way out, forgetting it was there. I went down with a bang and as a result left with a sore wrist and elbow and feeling a bit shaken.
In spite of this, the day was quite a productive one with quite a few more things ticked off the list, so I can't complain. Tomorrow is forecast rain all day, so we'll see what I manage to get done inside.