Friday 4 March 2016

Living With Less Stuff - February 2016

February has been another good month in my challenge to Live with Less Stuff in 2016.

At the start of the year, I set myself the quite modest, but I thought realistic goal of decluttering at least 500 items this year, following on from decluttering over 1000 last year, and so far it is going much better than I could have ever imagined.

In February, I've set aside another 171 items to be donated and yes the sewing room has filled up again. When the double bed gets put in here in two weeks time (yes, we've got a date!) there won't be room to stack up the boxes here, they'll all have to go on top of the bed, but for now it is as good a place as anywhere, as it is out of the way.

Here's the photographic evidence of my efforts once again.



I'm awaiting announcement of the next Give and Take, so that I can take most of it to donate it. A couple of these boxes still need to be taken to a charity shop, but I still haven't got around to it yet!

The majority of the items this month came from another wardrobe/clothes drawer reorganisation by LB, a sifting and sorting of my linen collection, a book cull of a set of children's encyclopaedias amongst other childrens' books LB has grown out of, plus some of my books that I've read or decided I can live without.  There were also a good few items culled during the kitchen deep clean, that added to this number.

The current total for this year now stands at 306, good progress which completely takes the pressure off for the remainder of the year, although I'll still be trying as hard as possible to reduce what we give houseroom to.

We are definitely reaping the benefits of having less 'stuff' in the house.  Don't get me wrong, I am not and never will be a minimalist, but seeing space clear and having less stuff to negotiate on a daily basis, does make life so much easier and the house much less of an eyesore in general.  I'm starting to really enjoy seeing uncluttered and moreover well organised spaces, where once 'stuff' was just stuffed in.

The forthcoming bedroom deep clean this month should harvest a few more things, so I'll post again next month on further progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment