Thursday 17 March 2016

Another Directional Change

Last night, I got a little inspired and decided to take my small business in a slightly different direction.  I currently sell fabrics on sites such as eBay and Etsy, and since listing lots of stock the other week, after a two month hiatus, business has really picked up and I'm starting to make some money again, which is good.

However, as anyone who regularly reads this blog will know, for the past year I've been getting more and more interested in natural beauty products, both buying and making products for my own everyday use.  I just find it so satisfying being able to make products that cost much more in the shops and have the reassurance that I know exactly what is in them.

In the process of looking for some containers for a particular project, I noticed that they were very difficult to source in this country and mostly only available from abroad, with quite expensive postage costs and possibly duty on top.

I decided to take a look around on the internet and see if I could source this particular item from manufacturers in the UK, with a view to selling it along side my fabrics and haberdashery.  (Strange mixture I know, but anything goes in business, especially on the sites I use to sell, i.e. eBay and Etsy - why limit yourself).

Anyway, the good news is, I found a supplier and I placed an order.  I managed to get free delivery and 10% off too, which was a bonus, although I had to place a large order to get these benefits.  It's a bit of a new departure, a bit risky I guess, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I think that more and more people are becoming interested in making their own beauty products and also products to sell or give away as gifts and there are so many How to's on line now on Youtube and Pinterest, that it gets ever easier to locate good recipes.  I've done some research into what and how things are selling on eBay before making a commitment, so hopefully they will sell well and fill a gap in the supply of these on sites in the UK.

I'll keep you posted with how it goes when they arrive and I get them listed.  I'm feeling quite excited about it.  If all else fails, I might use them to make some products and try to sell them myself, as it's an item I use daily and that works well for me.  We'll see.  Wish me luck!




6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Marlene, I'll let you know how it pans out.

      Delete
  2. Expansion and diversification always great business ideas.

    Good luck.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's just got to be done sometimes, and when it's in an area that interests you it makes it life a bit more interesting.

      Delete
  3. Good luck with your new venture :) can you share possibly with a link perhaps what you do sell on sites.

    ReplyDelete