Friday 10 October 2014

Wardrobe Epiphany

Still no computers working, so no photos today, but I am posting this blog post which I think has been bubbling under the surface of my consciousness for a while.  I think I'm in the process of a bit of a wardrobe epiphany, albeit a slow and steady realisation rather than a light bulb moment.  I think I might have blogged along similar lines in the past, but not really acted on it.  The time is fast approaching, where I need to take my gut feelings more seriously and actually act on them.

Part of the problem occurred to me yesterday, when I was trying to get ready to go out for the day.  I just wasn't happy with how I looked and couldn't find an outfit which to me looked appropriately smart casual for a day out in town.  Granted, I was in a bit of a rush, as I'd arranged to meet a friend and was running a bit late, but even so my wardrobe left me feeling decidedly uninspired.

Anyway, I went out and had a very nice day, although I did feel slightly scruffy, and then when I got home OH and Little Bird were heading out to the local mall to buy me a few small presents for my birthday later this week.  I decided to tag along.  Whilst they were busy shopping, I had a good wander around John Lewis.  It's not something I do very often, as I tend to go in there with a particular purchase in mind, go to that department only and then come away. On this occasion I had a little time to wander around a few departments and check out what they had on offer.

As part of the reason for the morning's wardrobe meltdown was that I didn't have a comfortable pair of black shoes to walk around in all day, I initially took a look around their shoe department, and more particularly at all the black flats.  Don't worry, I'm aware that I'm in the middle of Stopober and I didn't buy anything, I couldn't quite find anything that hit the spot, but it was interesting to look.  Flat black shoes are an item I find difficult to buy.  I guess they remind me of work or school shoes, so I tend to avoid them and buy shoes in other colours, but when I need a pair of comfortable wear all day black footwear to go with an outfit, I'm stuck.  I may just have to stick to black ankle or knee boots instead.

Later, I took a look in one of the clothing concessions.  I won't say which, as it was a rather expensive one that I've never looked in before, but I'd seen a lovely dress in the shop window display and decided to see if I could find it in store and check out the price.  I couldn't find the dress, but I did see the most beautiful black wool winter coat.  Only £250 (!), but boy was it a beauty.  I'm still thinking about it now.  I can't see me ever quite buying something quite so expensive, but if money was no object.  This is the danger of window shopping I guess.  When you don't have the money to spend you can always guarantee that something you really like will appear on the horizon.

Still, it has made me think that finally it might really be the time to start spending a little more money on good quality clothes and to stop buying cheaper items to make do with.  In all fairness, OH has been trying to encourage me in this line of thought for quite a while now, but I always seem to get distracted from it by inexpensive things in the shops which seem too good to be true and usually are.  I think next year, once my debts are all paid off, I'm going to start planning a good quality capsule wardrobe and thinking about exactly what I want in it.  Perhaps that might be a solution to my wardrobe problems, less but better quality.  I figure if I buy one staple item from the list each month, within a couple of years, I might actually have a wardrobe I like and enjoy wearing.  I'm not talking high fashion here, but quality and longevity.  If I don't do it now, as I'm heading towards the big Five Zero, I don't think I ever will.  My birthday present of my new brogues which I will receive this weekend will be a good start to this process.  It might make a good bloggy challenge next year too.  We'll see what happens.

4 comments:

  1. Buying a good coat is great for throwing on over any old thing and with good shoes too, all you need to go anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I think they are probably the most important things in your wardrobe in the autumn/winter. I think sometimes I need to change my mind set and take account of the saying 'buy cheap, buy twice' if you know what I mean.

      Delete
  2. I think with "decent" clothing it can be a struggle to reconcile what we know with how we feel. We know that the thing that fits well. is made out a a quality fabric, is what suits us, what we "need" but it's still hard to say yes to parting with the money, even when all those little purchases are false economy.

    Not that I believe that only expensive things are the best things for our wardrobes of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, it is hard sometimes to spend what seems like a huge amount on something, especially when you're not used to doing so.

      I am starting to come around to the idea of spending a little more sometimes on certain items in order to get something that lasts that bit longer and that you feel much happier wearing.

      Delete