Some of them were quite small, thin pieces, in lots of different designs and colours, including plaids, herringbones, plains. They were lovely and I couldn't bring myself to throw them away, surely there was something I could use them for. I got to thinking that they might look nice strung from some ribbon like a kind of autumnal garland.
First, I decided to shape the pieces by cutting one end of each scrap on a diagonal, some going in one direction and some going in the opposite direction. Then I began to pin them to some ribbon. I wanted them to look random and not too symmetrical, but I couldn't find a way to arrange them that I liked, so I gave up and left it until another day.
A day or so later, I went back to them and decided that rather than pin and sew them to the ribbon, I would staple them on to it. This worked quite well as it was quick and if I didn't like the position of one or other piece, I could easily remove the staple and put another in it's place.
Eventually, I got the banner completed, pinned it up on the mantle edge in the sewing room and looked at it. It looked a bit bare. I decided to add another layer, as I still had lots of scraps left.
I preferred the effect of having more on the banner. Then I decided that I didn't like the directional nature of the scraps, so I cut them all to a small point, as I felt this looked better. I added some braid, leftover from an upholstery project, over the top to help hide the staples and it was finished. I was quite pleased with the finished result and even more pleased that I had finally managed to use them for something.
I was left with this delicious bowl of little tiny triangles and scraps.
Don't worry, I'm not planning to make these into anything, but they did look yummy.