Thursday 16 October 2014

Making and Knitting with Fabric Yarn

Hot on the heels of my visit to the Knitting and Stitching Show last week, this week I've been itching to get started on some macro knitting with fabric yarn.  In the absence of a pair of huge needles I decided to have a go using the biggest needles I own which are 12mm plastic ones.   

I wanted to try knitting using some fabric yarn, made with cotton fabric and knit with it using the needles which I already had in my collection, in an attempt to stick to my Stoptober challenge.  I chose some vintage Liberty cotton, that formed the hem of some old curtains I'd cut up to make a skirt.  I unpicked the hem and cut it into strips about 3/4 inch wide, knotting the strips together. 




The plastic knitting needles I already had worked quite well, so it was pretty straightforward actually.  Just like normal knitting although you do need to try to use the fabric with the right side turned out, if possible.  I cast on 10 stitches and away I went.  Every time I ran out of yarn I'd cut another strip and knotted it on.  The ends of the knots can easily be tucked into the knitting so that they don't really show to the front. 



This piece turned out to be a coaster, as it is quite small.  You can get a good idea from the photograph how it comes together quite quickly.  I was quite pleasantly surprised with the outcome.  I hand stitched some fabric to the back, to hide any knotted ends, make a base and to give it a more finished look. 

 
Here's the finished result with my mug sitting on it.  The frayed edges of the fabric give it a yarn-like rustic appearance.
 
 

It's given me a whole new outlook on what I can use fabric for now and I'm looking forward to completing larger projects of this kind, preferably on bigger needles and more importantly reducing my stash of fabric scraps and recycling fabric that can't easily be used for any other purpose.

8 comments:

  1. That gives a wonderful texture - using up old curtains which you'd cut up for a skirt made me smile x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This looks something I could attempt. It is common knowledge I can't knit - well I can do basic knitting but can't increase, decrease, cast on or cast off. However a brave soul who attended pottery class with me did offer to teach me to knit - so you never know, I just might take this one step further. The fabric is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the beauty of rugs, etc. Very simple to knit. I too am very limited in my knitting skills. Good luck with possibly increasing yours too.

      Delete
  3. Good work. I have a pair of 20 mm needles so I should give this a try when I finish my other projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 20mm needles sound a really good size for this sort of thing. Good luck with that.

      Delete
  4. So clever of you! What a great way to repurpose.

    ReplyDelete