Friday 14 June 2013

Thursday

Thursday this week was my second fast day on this new to me 5:2 diet, so again I made an effort to keep myself extra busy so that I wouldn't be thinking about food and how hungry I felt.  I must admit that at a couple of points today I did actually feel sick with hunger which is very unusual for me.  It soon passed though.

It was porridge made with water again for breakfast, followed by a cup of tea when I got back from walking the dog.  My day started properly with a sort out of the washing.  I took down the dry washing and hung out some wet washing inside in it's place.  I put away some ironing and got another wash ready to go.  I spent a little while in the garden tidying around, watering and potting up some wall baskets.   The puppy, however, had other ideas and wrangled the hoe from me, so I gave up and  popped out to take some bags and boxes to the charity shop instead before stopping for lunch.

I had a salad again for lunch today, followed by half a peach that needed eating up and a cup of tea.  After lunch I decided to go out again.  I didn't want to spend any money so I got on my bike and headed off to the allotment.  The weather looked a bit ominous, with dark grey clouds that threatened rain, but apart from a few drops which I didn't feel, as I was working under the canopy of a large tree in the corner of my plot, it held off and eventually there was even some sunshine.

I was accompanied on the plot by two cute robins who were hanging around in the hope of a tasty meal.  I didn't take any photos as I was just trying to get stuck in and get things done.  I spent the couple of hours I had cutting back the comfrey and nettles that take over one side of the plot at this time of year.  The comfrey was starting to flower and although the flowers are pretty and loved by bees, I needed to cut them right down to prevent them seeding themselves everywhere.  I used the cuttings and the nettles to try to make some comfrey juice as a fertiliser.  I squashed them all into plastic tubs with lids and a compost bin, to rot down which they do so well and so quickly.  I then dug over the bed where I'd cleared them ready to get some courgettes in on my next visit.  It looked a lot tidier and it was a relief to get it done.

I harvested a few lettuce and some spring onions and then it was time to leave to collect my daughter from school after her drama club.  I cycled straight to the school and it was during this journey that I started to feel sick with hunger.  Perhaps exerting myself on the bike and at the allotment wasn't a good idea on a fast day.  Anyway, a cup of tea when I got home soon sorted me out.

Friday morning is the day when all our rubbish is collected, both recycling and refuse, so Thursday night means bagging up all the recycling, emptying all the bins all over the house and putting out the recycling bag, bin bag and food waste caddy ready for collection as well as the empty milk bottles in readiness for the milkman.  Once I'd done all this it was time to make dinner for my partner, (my daughter was out at a friend's house) and me.  Tonight's fasting dinner was stir fried chicken with red peppers, green beans and courgettes, which was all I had in the fridge that was suitable.  More patchwork tonight to keep me out of trouble!  How was your Thursday?

2 comments:

  1. My Thursday was great as you saw my find on my Blog !
    Have had hardly any carbs this week & pleased with myself !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you're doing really well not eating carbs. I'm not sure I could forgo them. Some meals that we have don't include them, but I must admit that they do form a fairly large part of our diet.

      Delete