Today, after much stitching, unpicking and re- stitching, I finally fitted a zip and sewed up the sides to complete it. The zip wasn't grey unfortunately, as I didn't have one long enough, but never mind as it isn't that visible. I didn't want to go out and buy one specially when I had a huge stash at home that needed using, that I'd picked up in charity shops and market stalls.
So, here it is. I'm quite pleased with the finished result, especially because I know how much time, love and effort went into it.
Here's a close-up of the fabrics used.
It's not perfect and some of the stitching is a little visible but isn't that one of the lovely things about handmade items. It gives it it's uniqueness.
It has been quite a long process making it, which has made me question whether or not to make a quilt or throw next, but I did enjoy it. I figure that if I don't pressure myself to finish by any specific date, I might just enjoy a project that I can just pick up and do a bit of here and there whilst watching TV. I do actually find it very satisfying to hand sew as I feel a greater sense of ownership, but it is very time consuming. I guess not everything can be done quickly so it might help me develop more patience.
I think with this next patchwork project I will use larger pieces of fabric and use squares instead of hexagons for a change and see how it goes. I have some ready cut that I was going to machine sew, but now I think I'd actually prefer to hand sew them together, so I am going to get started on this soon. I'll keep you posted periodically.
It was good to get back to my sewing machine. Whilst there I also started on another small project that I'd been meaning to do for a while, namely making a beanbag or floor cushion for my daughter's bedroom. I used an old curtain and sewed up two sides ready to fill. Bean bag filling is quite expensive so I may look for second hand beanbags in charity shops and use their filling, or alternatively find a large floor cushion to put inside. I'll post when I've finished it.