Sunday 2 June 2013

A Week in the Yorkshire Dales - Part 2

Well, the rest of our holiday was equally as enjoyable as our first day.  Some relatives came to visit on the Sunday and we had a meal out in a local pub followed by a game of scrabble and a home made roast dinner.  It was lovely to catch up and spend time together.

The following day we ventured to the village of Grinton to attend a local Car Boot Sale.  If you've been reading my blog for a while you will know that I love nothing better than a good car boot sale and this one was great.  There were lots of interesting stalls selling all manner of things.  I bought a few bits and pieces, mainly more plants such as this beautiful orange Geum


and yellow/orange poppy,


a couple of white geraniums, a verbena bonariensis and an alchemilla mollis, a couple of wall planters, some purple Crocs for my daughter, some fabric, a cd, a ds game and a book.  I probably spent £15 in total, but got so much for my money and to be honest spent very little else all week, save on food and one visit to the cinema with my daughter on a particularly rainy day.  We followed this with a lovely Great British fry up back at the cottage before saying our goodbyes.

The next few days were a bit rainy and the weather was very changeable so this did make walking a bit more difficult, but we still enjoyed some lovely walks in the beautiful surrounding countryside,

 
 
 
 
 
 
roaring fires, reading, games of monopoly and I did some work on my patchwork cushion project (more later).

I discovered this book in the bedside drawer of the cottage and read it during my stay.  It was quite amusing.  My own books could be read anytime, but this just appealed for some reason.  Apologies if this was not meant to be read by guests.



On our final day we walked up and over the moor to the rear of the cottage.  It was a steep climb up to the top where the mist was thick and you couldn't see far ahead which was a bit worrying.  We saw grouse chicks in the heather and lots of rabbits running around and eventually crossed the river and made our way to the Arkengarthdale village of Langthwaite, where we had lunch outside a small pub of Carrot and Coriander Soup and a Cornish Pasty.  Heavenly.

My OH then took the dog back over the moor whilst we headed off to another Inn with Wifi where my daughter and I had a lovely girly couple of hours in front of a roaring fire with a pot of tea/hot chocolate and cake.  I also managed to have a sneaky catchup reading a few blog posts that I had missed.   I got so comfortable I even had a Bailey's to warm me up.  My OH then picked us up in the car (naughty I know) and took my daughter swimming whilst I made us a Chilli for dinner.  It was a memorable day which was a fitting end to our holiday in the Dales.  Here's a few pictures of our indulgent afternoon.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. ooh looks wonderful and cosy. I expect someone left that book behind - what a good find !
    I love all your plants - hope you get them home safely.

    Thank you for your comment. Hearing that Jess is fine makes me so happy for her.
    I'm keeping busy. Some of us are spring cleaning the charity shop today for a treat for our manageress who has been off post operative for six weeks.
    We are normally closed on a Monday - not sure how we will keep customers out as will want the door open as it's very hot today !

    Glad you had a lovely holiday x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I imagine you will have lots of customers coming in or trying to get in anyway. That's a lovely thing to do for your manageress. I'm sure she will really appreciate it. Your charity shop sounds great having a lovely bunch of staff working there. Good luck with the decorating!

      Delete
  2. Phew ! a lot sorted & cleaned today.

    Yes people tried the, "I know you are closed but..."
    and were very annoyed when we didn't accept donated goods ( we are closed on Mondays anyway so guess it would have been left dumped on the door step & not a good welcome back for our manageress !

    ReplyDelete