Tuesday 21 May 2013

Adult Learners' Week 18th-24th May

This week is Adult Learners' Week and on a visit to my local library the other day to renew some books, I picked up the booklet printed and distributed by our local council which offers 80 short courses throughout the week, to enable borough residents to try out new things or brush up their skills.

On looking through the booklet there were quite a few interesting short courses that I thought might be relevant to me and the small business I run from home.  One was an introduction to book-keeping and another was a Web Design course.  Both were only an hour long so were not particularly indepth, but I thought they might be interesting and useful.  Anyway, as it turned out they were both fully booked, so in the end I plumped for a beginner's course in Blogging and a course on how to make a Patchwork Lavender Cushion. 

Although I have been blogging for a few months now, my blogging skills are very basic and I thought this course might be useful and teach/inspire me how to make my blog more interesting and creative and help me to create more links on my posts.  I'm really looking forward to it.  I am also looking forward to the patchwork course as although I do sew, I have always found patchwork a bit of a stumbling block.  (No pun intended).  I'm hoping that by getting me started, this course will inspire me to really get stuck in to some serious patchwork quilting and use some of the fabrics that I have collected specifically for this purpose.

One of the best things about the courses, is that they are completely free and are being held in local venues, so will be very easy to get to.  Their duration is only a few hours too, so they are pretty easy to fit into my week.  I'll post about the courses after I have attended.  Are you attending any courses for Adult Learners' Week?   What is going on in your local area for Adult Learner's Week?  Are you attending a course in something you've always wanted to do or try?

1 comment:

  1. I haven't done any free courses but have taken Adult learning ones - years ago to learn how to use a computer ! Good luck with the Blogging one and the patchwork sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete