Sunday 19 May 2013

A Spot of Quilting

Today, I managed to get my hands on a copy of the Great British Sewing Bee Book.  I didn't buy it, I happened to see it in my local library.  I think I might be one of the first people to borrow it as it is in immaculate condition with patterns still in the back.



I had a flick through when I got it home.  None of the clothes patterns,  particularly appealed to me personally, but there are some nice patterns.  I did like the Hacking Jacket, but am not in a hurry to make another jacket as they are quite tricky and time consuming.  What did appeal, however, was an idea for a throw or quilt.  It was made with full width strips of fabric sewn together.

I decided to head up to my sewing room later and have a go.  I found some reclaimed and vintage fabrics that I had been meaning to use for a while and which went together quite well and started cutting strips up.  I then placed them how I thought they looked best and finally I sewed them all together, so have essentially finished the top of the quilt or throw.  Here's a picture of one half of it.



I  ironed the seams flat and I've managed to buy some wadding for £5, I just need to find a fabric for the backing and the binding around the edge.   I am using a thinnish synthetic wadding to give it a light but comfy feel, as it is intended as a quilt for snuggling under on the sofa, or for my daughter to use in the car when travelling.  I'm not sure how well it will work as I have heard other quilters suggest that it doesn't give great results, but I'll give it a go.  It wasn't too expensive to make this as all the 100% cotton fabrics have mainly been picked up from jumble sales, car boots or charity shops often for a few pounds each or less. It is a single sized quilt as that was the width of the fabrics I had.

I was surprised at how easy this was to make.  It took just over two hours in total to get to this stage.  I think the thought of sewing together of lots of little squares has actually put me off quilting so far, although I do admire the effect in other peoples' quilts, but this seemed far simpler with no overlapping seams to contend with.  I quite like it aesthetically too.  I know a lot of people use Liberty lawn fabrics to quilt in this way.  I have seen them in the store and they are very pretty, albeit the strips of fabric are cut much thinner.  I'll post again when it is finally finished.

2 comments:

  1. I like this way for quilting. I couldn't believe it yesterday at the charity shop - I found three patchwork quilts put out for recycling. I got them out hung them up & priced them. I hope they sell or back to the recycling they go !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would seem such a pity to recycle them when so much time has gone into making them. I 'm sure they will sell.

      Delete