Wednesday 6 December 2017

Freebies, Frugal Measures and Frugal Fails 21

Freebies and Frugal Measures

1) Having received more vouchers from Waitrose this week, they will become the recipients of my grocery shopping business in the lead up to Christmas, in order for me to benefit from using them.  As I've mentioned before, I am not loyal to anyone, especially where discounts are concerned, I just go wherever I get the best vouchers.  I am, however, very careful what I buy at Waitrose, as I do find some things can be quite expensive in their store. This week I used the big one, which was £12 off a £60 spend.  It made a dent, as I spent £107, so paid only £95 and got my free Sunday newspaper too through their loyalty scheme.

2) I started this week reasonably well, by acquiring 3 books for OH for Christmas on eBay, for less than £10. They were all in very good condition too. He knows I am sourcing them this way and is more than happy about it, so why pay full price in a book shop, well, other than to keep them in business, of course, which is important too.

3) I made my totally cost free Advent candle this week, which is working very well.  I've never used an Advent candle of any description before, so it is a totally new experience for me. I've also started using my digital advent calendar from jacquielawson.com.  I bought one for myself and one each for my two sisters as a gift the other week.  They cost less than £3 each and are interactive with games, videos and activities, so they will keep me entertained in the lead up to Christmas. I also bought a chocolate Advent calendar from the CS when they went on sale yesterday as a treat to myself.

4) I found a couple of nice quilt covers at the CS this weekend for £2.99 each. (They're only inexpensive ones)  One for LB's bed and one for ours.  I'm really pleased with these, as I was going to spend up to £30 for one for LB alone. They look hardly used and smell like they just came out of someone's washing machine.  I'll wash them myself though before using them just to be sure.

5) Some items I paid for on my credit card at the end of this month, didn't show up on my bill this month, which means that I have longer to pay for them, which is a bonus at this time of year.  I did deliberately leave purchasing the items in the ASOS 20% off sale until the last possible minute, in the hope that this might happen and it did.  I'm an arch manipulator of my credit card bill.  It comes with years of practice.

Frugal Fails

1) I had to purchase another 9p reusable plastic bag this week at Lidl on account of using all of the bags I took with me in Waitrose. I did manage to utilise a box, but still needed an extra bag when I couldn't find a second one.

2) On checking my receipt from my weekly shop at Waitrose, I noticed too late that I had been charged twice for something by mistake, which although it only cost me an extra 40p is annoying, and I also didn't get a discount on a the purchase of two items that according to the shelf were on offer at 2 for £3 which cost me another 74p.  Small amounts I know, and mistakes do happen, but they shouldn't advertise a discount for multiple purchases, if they're not going to be applied at the till point.

1 comment:

  1. I had to purchase a plastic bag when I was checking out at one store last week. I had filled my cloth bag and there were a few items I just couldn't see squishing in.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete