Friday 9 October 2015

A Frugal New Candle

The other day, as I was stepping outside to take the dog for a walk, I couldn't help but notice that the lovely lady next door was throwing out a huge used up Jo Malone candle in her recycling bag.  I immediately got to thinking that the lovely glass jar it was in, could happily be re-purposed by me and used to make a new multi wick soy wax candle.

I ruminated for a day or two and then when a parcel for me was delivered next door and I had to collect it, I decided to take the bull by the horns and very cheekily asked if I could take the jar from her recycling bag and use it myself.

Said neighbour, did I say how lovely she is, was incredibly gracious and was more than happy for me to repurpose it, so I brought it home with me, peeled off the labels, popped out the remaining bit of wax in the bottom and gave it a good wash.  Here's what it looks like now.




Not content to leave it at that, I decided that I could make use of the thin layer of wax I'd taken out of the bottom of the jar, especially as it was an Orange Blossom scented candle and smelt divine. (Orange blossoms being one of my favourite flowers - I have one in the garden)

The wax itself had come out in one piece, so I broke it into pieces, removed the wicks and melted it in the microwave for a few minutes, before pouring it into an old glass candle container, to make a new small candle with it.  (Waste not want not!)  I had a supply of wicks that I'd previously got on eBay, so within minutes I had a lovely candle vase ready for re-purposing and a newly reformed Jo Malone Orange Blossom candle to burn through.

Here's a picture of the candle I made, that I shall very much enjoy burning.




It's not quite as white as the ones you buy, as some burnt candle wick was mixed in with it, but it will burn away the same, so I don't care. I'm glad that I did finally pluck up the courage to ask her if I could take it, although I fear she might think she is living next door to a terrible skip rat.  I just couldn't let such a lovely thing get thrown in the back of the recycling lorry.

Having pondered about how I might re-use the jar, I've since decided that I might make a terrarium with it instead of a multi-wick candle, as it would take an awful lot of wax to fill it, making it a touch risky and expensive, especially as I'm a total beginner when it comes to candle making.  In addition, I already have some grit, so just need a few attractive cacti or succulents and some appropriate compost to complete the task.  I think I might add these items to my birthday list, so that I can get straight on with the job.

In the meantime, I think I'll take a quick (or not so quick) look on Pinterest for some inspiration! I'll post again with the finished result.

2 comments:

  1. I love Jo Malone candles, daughter gets them at discount prices through her work, one tip not sure if you know, freeze your tea lights and small candles, they burn much slower and last for hours longer, my freezer always has a tub of tea lights in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that tip Marlene. I haven't actually heard it before. I've got a stack of tealights I can put in the freezer.

      Delete