She picked out some fabric from my stash and on Sunday night, once I'd got the dishes done and everything cleared away, I popped up to the sewing room and got started. I more or less just made the pattern up by cutting a couple of rectangles from the fabric, but leaving two long strips to use as handles.
It didn't take long to make. The main body of the bag took 15 minutes or so, from cutting out to finishing. I didn't line it as I was keeping it simple and made it book bag style as LB didn't want a gusset in the bottom. I did make it a bit long at first, so folded over the top and stitched it down to alter the depth of the bag. It added a bit of interest to the bag too.
I stitched the handles together and pinned them on to the bag making sure they were the right length for LB and placed at equal distances from the side seams all round. They got sewn on the next day as it got too late to be using the machine that night, because of the noise. Anyway, here's how it turned out.
I also added in a little pocket inside to hold her phone, sunglasses, etc.
It's not perfect, but should last the holiday and was a good way to use up a bit more fabric from my stash.