Saturday 7 June 2014

Making a Sewing Machine Cover

Whilst sitting in the sewing room the other week doing some hand quilting on my double eiderdown/quilt project, (I'm now half way through the hand quilting bit by the way - update coming) I suddenly felt inspired to start a new small sewing project.  I guess when you're sat in a room filled to the rafters with fabric, you do start to think about how on earth you are going to use it all.  That, combined with an earlier in the day peek on Pinterest and an idea that stuck in my mind.

The idea was to make a sewing machine cover.  I no longer have the original cover for my sewing machine, so it tends to sit on the table in the sewing room gathering dust, between bursts of activity that is.  Here's a picture of it. 



A very basic machine, I'd love a new, all singing, all dancing one, but whilst it still works and does everything I need it to, I can't bring myself to buy a new one.  I saw an idea for a machine cover on Pinterest, which looked just like making a mini quilt, in a similar fashion to the ones I've been making for the past year, using strips of fabric sewn together, but on a smaller scale.

I dug out some pretty fabrics which I thought went with the room décor, as much as possible, it's mainly grey and white, but with touches of aqua/eggshell blue.  Some of the fabric was already in strips so it felt good to use these up and some I had to actually cut into strips and then I sewed them all together.  I added a backing and wadding and then hand sewed the binding around the edge.

Finally, I made some little straps with buttonholes at each end, sewed buttons on the main cover piece at strategic points and voila, a sewing machine cover.  I even sewed buttons on the inside so that the cover is actually reversible too.   It's no great masterpiece, but I like it and it should keep the dust at bay.

 
Here's the reverse side.  I almost like it better.
 
 

Another practical and stash busting project, which feels very satisfying.

3 comments: