Friday 6 June 2014

H is for ......... Harvesting

Today, it was two weeks exactly since I'd been to the allotment, so thought I had better make a visit to see if anything, particularly the strawberries, needed harvesting.  I decided to take the dog with me and combine it with our morning walk.

On my previous visit, one of the plotholders had told me I could take the dog in, so long as she was on a lead, so it was a treat for her as she gets to go there very rarely.  She always gets a bit excited as it is new territory for her, so excited in fact that she promptly sprawled out and went to sleep!

 
 

It's a fair walk to the allotment.  At least a mile or two along the canal.   I was armed with rucksack, camera, a few tools, seeds, bags and a sandwich box (to harvest strawberries to stop them getting squashed).  It felt like we were going on an outing.

Whilst the dog slept, I did a bit of weeding and harvested a bowl full of strawberries,


a few sticks of rhubarb


and a lovely big bunch of mint.


There wasn't really anything else ready.

Once I'd done what I needed to do, we set off back.  I took a few photos on the walk back of the canal boats moored in the marina




and all along the canal.  There's such a diverse community of boats.  I envy and admire the simplicity of their lifestyle in the summer months.

It was a beautifully sunny day.  Idyllic really.  When we got to one of the marshes, which is one of our regular haunts, the dog had a lovely time running in the grass that they allow to grow long in the summer months. 


She all but disappeared in the grass. 


She loves this place.  We were out for a good three hours this morning.  I think she enjoyed her walk.  I certainly did.

1 comment:

  1. A grand day out and productive too. My strawberries are still flowers.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete