Tuesday 3 June 2014

Adult Learner's Week 14th - 21st June

The other day after taking Little Bird to Swimming Club, I didn't want to hang around at the baths, so I took myself off to the local central library, to see if there were any interesting craft books that I hadn't yet read.  I found a few and as I was using the self service machine to take them out, I noticed a little prospectus on the counter for Adult Learner's week.  I love this event in our borough, as they provide lots of little taster workshops and courses, that usually are a couple of hours long and give you a basic taste of lots of different crafts, hobbies, activities.  In addition they are usually all completely free and open to all borough residents on a first come, first served basis.

If you've followed my blog for a while, you may remember that last year I did a workshop on blogging and also a workshop on patchwork, which set me off making a whole series of patchwork quilts over the last year.  It was definitely quite life changing for me, as I've really enjoyed doing it ever since and had been meaning to try it for an age, but just never got around to starting it.

Anyway, I took a prospectus home with me and had a good look through it.  There were a few things that caught my eye, but some of them clashed with other commitments, so I wasn't able to do them.  Two workshops really stood out, however, and they were at convenient times, so a week later I finally got around to ringing up and booking myself on them. 

The first workshop was soap making.  This is something that I've wanted to try for a while, but more particularly since I started using soap again instead of shower gel, during my year long Beauty Challenge.  I'm really looking forward to this, as although I've taken a look on line at soap making information and instructions, it always seems easier to me, if someone shows me in person, as you have the opportunity to ask pertinent questions.

The second workshop I've booked is a mosaic workshop.  I did some mosaic a few years ago, with Little Bird on a Family Learning course and we both really enjoyed it.  I always intended to do more at home and collected a few bits of chipped or cracked china that could be used for the purpose, along with a few tools, but I've never got around to using them, so I'm hoping this workshop will help me get started.  I'll let you know how I get on. 

The great thing about both of these workshops, is that they are both on my list for the 52 Projects Challenge I'm participating in conjunction with Dreamer of Living a Slow and Simple Life, so I will be posting about these workshops, as part of that challenge, in the next few weeks.

Are there any Adult Learning workshops being run near you for Adult Learner's Week?  It's always worth checking with your local library.

4 comments:

  1. I really must check with the local library. There may be something that takes my fancy.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck. I hope there's something that interests you.

      Delete
  2. I did a basic computer course many years ago to kick start me using one. I was the only person under sixty in the class !

    I've just heard the new sewing shop in the village as well as holding workshops runs a Thursday night bring what you are making group for free !
    Have fun at yours x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Thursday night sewing group sounds great. Sometimes it's good to sew with others as if you get stuck you have someone to ask. I'd love to go back to more sewing classes, but haven't found any to suit of late. Maybe in September.

      Delete