Saturday 1 March 2014

The Great (or not so great) Household and Cleaning Products Challenge - Month 6

This is a challenge I set myself, to spend no more than £125 in a  year on cleaning and household products and the list of items in this challenge was quite extensive, including all cleaning products, dishwasher/laundry tablets, toilet rolls, sandwich bags, bin liners, kitchen rolls, etc. etc.

I must admit that I never really kept in budget with this challenge from the beginning and had I calculated at the start how many toilet rolls we used each month, I would perhaps have made the budget a little more generous, as these constitute a pretty large part of it.  Anyway, I didn't, so I'm seriously struggling with this challenge, although I must admit I have made some irresponsible and unnecessary purchases along the way, which certainly haven't helped.

This month wasn't actually a bad month all things considered.  I  managed to spend only £10.80 which sounds a lot, but it includes the toilet rolls we will need for next month bought in advance.  This just goes to show that when you put your mind to it you can spend less than you think.

This takes my total in this challenge to £106.67/£125 after 6 months. 

This month's expenditure was spent on the following

Toilet Rolls x 30 (for February) - £5.50 - Bought from Morrison's and ASDA, so slightly more expensive than my usual Poundstretcher bargains again, as I never made it to the store until the end of this month.

Toilet Rolls x 36 (for March) -  £5 - I managed to get to Poundstretcher the other day when I was in the vicinity, so I bought next month's toilet rolls. Hopefully as a result, I shouldn't need to spend too much next month.

Disinfectant x 1 - 30p

Total Monthly Expenditure £10.80

I was helped this month by the fact that we were away for a week and some toilet rolls and other products were provided with our accommodation, which did cut down on a small amount of usage and expense, but having said this I did take and use my own dishwasher tablets and some toilet rolls too.  Towards the end of the month, I held off from buying some washing liquid/tablets too and dug out some old soap nuts I had in the back of the under sink cupboard to use for washing clothes.  This saved me some money from this month's budget and I think I might continue to use them for a while longer to keep costs down.

No comments:

Post a Comment