Friday 21 March 2014

Alphabet Blogging - S is for ......Stripping (No, not that kind)

Today was a big day for our little dog, if only she knew it.  OH had booked her in to have her coat stripped for the first time.  We were all a bit nervous about it and what she would look like afterwards.

She's been scratching a lot lately and I know she hasn't got fleas, because we've treated her and if she had I would get bitten, which I always did as a child when we had cats.  OH thought that getting her stripped might relieve her skin irritation, which has been getting worse for a while now and the groomer seemed to agree.

We took her along to the grooming salon, filled with other dogs.  She didn't have a clue as to what was going on.  We had to sign the usual disclaimers, in case of a reaction to the process.  Hopefully, this won't be a problem.

Being a Cairn Terrier, she has a coat that doesn't really moult, so she can get quite hot in the summer months.  We were advised by her breeders that stripping would be necessary, but this is the first time we had taken her.  After staying for a few minutes to see how she took to the process, we left her in the capable hands of the groomers (the process takes 2 to 2 and half hours).

When we took her in she looked like this.  Our lovely scruffy little dog.

 
When we collected her she looked like this.
 
 
 
Bless her. It wasn't actually as short as I was expecting and thankfully, she didn't seem to mind having it done.   I think she was a little bit shocked, but she soon perked up.  It's like having a new dog, only a tidy looking one.  I want to ruffle her fur up and make her look more scruffy.
I think she might need to wear her wool coat on walks for a couple of weeks if the weather takes a turn for the worst.
 
Joining in with Mum from Mum's Simply Living blog, posting using the Backwards Alphabet.

7 comments:

  1. I expected to see her bald!
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I was pleased that she wasn't though.

      Delete
  2. My friend has to do this with her border terrier, he looks half the size when he has been stripped.
    Your wee dog looks very smart now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she looks a lot tinier now, she had a really thick coat before. It's strange getting used to her looking tidy, she's normally a scruffy little thing. In the cutest possible way or course.

      Delete
  3. She looks tiny now ! I bet she feels better though I do have a soft spot for scruffy dogs. A friend of mine hates it when her Westie gets washed & clipped !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same, I don't like her looking tidy, but I'm hoping she will feel better for it and more comfortable.

      Delete