Sunday 19 January 2014

Project 52 - Week 3 - Going on a Mending Spree

In conjunction with Dreamer at Living a Slow and Simple Life, I am currently attempting to join in with Project 52 and complete a task a week for a year.  Tasks can be large, small, new or old with the my aim being to finish doing all those things that I keep meaning to do, but never get around to.

This week in accordance with my list, published in a previous post, I went on a bit of a mending spree (cheaper than a spending spree by far).  This was made easier as the previous week I had managed to get to the bottom of my colossal ironing pile (whilst avoiding doing my tax return) and as I went through it I pulled out any item of clothing that had any holes in them, buttons missing or needed repairing.  This is the pile of mending I managed to pull out, plus there were three jackets I wear to walk the dog that needed repairs.  The pocket lining of two of them had large holes in them,  and a zip needed re-stitching on the other.




In this pile there were two pairs of harem pants I wear to the gym, four pairs of Little Bird's leggings and two of Little Bird's t-shirts, one of which she wears to sleep in.  Plenty to be going on with.

This task took me approximately 2 hours and was quite a satisfying task to complete, as I was sick of seeing Little Bird dressed in clothes with holes in them (not a good look) or losing the dog bags or treats in the lining of my jacket and having to dig around to find them when I'm out walking the dog.  I have since bought Little Bird some new clothes in the sales, as she was running a bit low, but some of the leggings she had were easily repaired and their lives extended, as they still fitted her well.  Besides, small repairs in dark clothing are not that detectable anyway, so I have absolutely no qualms about doing this.

In the interests of minimising waste and household product costs, any items I found that were not worth repairing or giving to charity and had been outgrown, were cut up for dish rags.

Another project completed. What next?

6 comments:

  1. It's great when you get ironing and mending done, suddenly there are no piles of clothes "waiting for something" around the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to enjoy it while you can as it mounts up so quickly again.

      Delete
  2. Once, when I had a huge ironing pile I was so sick of the sight of it, I put the whole lot in the washing basket ( well they were dusty ! ) hey presto...empty ironing basket !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on the mending! Look forward to following along.

    ReplyDelete