Tuesday 21 January 2014

Making Sacrifices

Sometimes in life we all need to make sacrifices and it was the case for me this month, when it came to filling a box for the Food Bank.  As we're now 3 weeks into January and I have maxed out in the sales buying birthday and Christmas presents for next year, I found myself with just enough money to buy some fruit and veg, milk and bread next week and no extra money for Food Bank purchases.

I had already half filled a box for the Food Bank, but I just didn't have an extra few pounds to spare to fill it.  Not wanting to welch on my commitment to donate regularly, as a consequence, I decided to shop my food cupboards to fill the box.  There is no way we are going to go hungry by my doing so, as we have plenty of food in the cupboards and freezer to last the rest of the month, so removing a few of the excess items that we can well do without, but which may be useful to someone else, isn't really too much of a hardship.  In shopping the cupboards I found a couple of bottles of malt vinegar, some tinned tomatoes, a jar of pasta bake sauce, a box of teabags and a couple of packets of pastry mix.  No jam tarts for us for the rest of the month, but hopefully someone else might be able to make some for a treat.  These were all things that I might normally give to the food bank, but they had not been bought for the purpose in this particular instance.

My food bank donation for this month therefore, contained the following:

Pineapple Sachets x 2  - 50p
Tins of Fruit Cocktail x 2 £1
Bread Sauce - 50p
Pots of Mashed Potato x 3 - 99p
500g of White Rice x 2 - 80p
500g of Penne Pasta x 2 - 98p
2 Cartons of UHT Semi Skimmed Milk - £1.10
Pasta Bake Sauce x 1 - 99p
Tinned Tomatoes x 2 - 66p
Malt Vinegar x 2 54p
Pastry Mix x 2 - £1.14
PG Tips Teabags x 1 box of 76 - £1

Total Donation £10.20

A bit of a random mix this month, but hopefully it might help someone else a little.





2 comments:

  1. It's amazing how much we have in our food cupboards and I agree with you - we will never go hungry.

    ReplyDelete