Sunday 26 January 2014

52 Projects - Week 4 - A Painting Purge

Joining in with Dreamer at Living a Slow and Simple Life, this week as one of my 52 projects I decided to do something different and proceeded to do a few little painting jobs that have been necessary for a good while.  They are mostly little snagging jobs that just never got finished properly when we decorated this house and although they are irritating to see, they have obviously not been sufficiently so to actually cause me to pull my finger out and get on with them.  Until now of course.

Here's a picture of what the problem areas looked like before and after I completed them.  The skirting board in the bathroom.  A bit of a mess really.  The skirting isn't in the best condition, but I'm hoping a coat of  paint will actually help to disguise the worst of it. (I'm not great with the filler). The pipes from the radiator look a bit ridiculous, so they're getting a coat of  paint too, as is the little step/shelf/nook where I keep my waste bin. 

Before....
 
 
 
After...
 
 
 
 
 
Not the most professional paint job I've ever done as it was difficult to get right into the corner by the toilet.  Once painted though it did make a difference and the bathroom looks a lot more finished - 4 or 5 years on might I add. 
 
Whilst I had the paint brush out, I put a coat of eggshell on the stair handrail.   As can be seen from the before picture, the handrail looked very scruffy and the matt emulsion it was painted with had virtually worn off in places.  It wasn't a nice sight for visitors when entering the house.
 
 
This job did take longer than anticipated though, as I had to paint all of the spindles  and the post too, so that it would all blend in.  A bit laborious, which I think is why I never did it properly originally, but I think you'll agree it looks a lot better now.
 
 
 
 
 Finally, I did one more small job that wasn't yet on my list of 52, namely to paint the boxing in for the boiler pipes, which never got finished properly when OH refitted the kitchen 3 years ago.  It just needed a coat of eggshell too.
 
 
Here it is on the kitchen table once painted.  I'm still waiting for it to dry so I can put it back.
 
 
 
 
So a busy day today, but two of the items from my list completed, plus another not on it, which means I can possibly get more tasks done in their place.  I think OH was secretly very pleased with my efforts too, as at least he won't have to do them himself now.  Only problem is, it makes the rest of the décor look even more shabby, but I'm definitely NOT putting total house redecoration on the list.   NO WAY!
 

Week 4 completed.  Onwards and upwards.

4 comments:

  1. Those little niggly jobs never seem to get completed once you move on from a job. I bet it feels good to have them finally completed, and the stair rail and spindles look great. That was a big job in itself! Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. We still have a couple of others, but I'm waiting on OH to replace some beading to do them. Maybe I'll add them to the list too. It is a relief to get these done, particularly the handrail as it used to get so dirty and didn't look nice.

    ReplyDelete