Saturday 11 June 2022

Decluttering for the Zero Waste Hub

This Saturday, there was another Zero Waste Hub in our borough. I've probably explained this a few times in my blog, but for anyone new to reading or who hasn't read previous posts about these events, I'll explain once again.

Four times per year our local Council organise what they call a Zero Waste Hub, where residents of the borough can take along anything they no longer want that might still be useful.  There are some things that they don't accept, such as white goods, large pieces of furniture, dvds and cds, etc., but clothes, homewares, toys, books, etc are all accepted.

In addition to being able to take along unwanted stuff, people can also take whatever they like for free. It's kind of like a free jumble sale. I love them and have been supporting them for several years now. Whenever there is one on the horizon, I go through as much of the house as possible with a fine tooth comb and send whatever I can along.

On this occasion, I'd set aside a couple of bags of stuff, but on the morning I decided to go through my wardrobe, some drawers and through a few other areas of the bedroom to gather as much as I could that I no longer wanted to keep.  

In the end, I took 4 reusable shopping bags full of stuff, one of clothes, one of homewares/books/bric a brac, one of cushion inserts, and one of plant pots, plus a small wooden table that we no longer needed. Hopefully, some of the items will find new homes and people will make good use of them.

I really love these events, although I have to say, that lately the majority of items donated seem to be toys and books, but it's still worth having a look around.  Today, I came away with two books, one of which I think I donated last time around, but would like to have back again, which was serendipitous. The other was this Man Booker Prize Finalist book by Hanya Yanagihara. The cover looks a bit depressing, but the synopsis suggests that it might be a very interesting read.


I'll be collating my donation for the next Zero Waste Hub in September from today.

2 comments:

  1. That's a brilliant idea, we still donate household items to our local charity shop, but not clothes, they go in the salvation army bins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we had something like that here. We do have a type of free cycle on one of the cities Facebook pages, but that is all.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete