Monday 13 June 2022

A Visit to the Allotment

I haven't been visiting the allotment much lately. After more than 17 years of allotmenteering, it had become OH's domain in recent years, as I've not really had the energy. He's done a great job with it too. He's got greener fingers than I have, always has had. As a consequence, the allotment has been a lot more abundant under his care.

Going there today was good. I took the dog and he came along and met me there.  My first priority was to pick some of the hundreds of gooseberries on the bush, as I needed some to combine with some blackcurrants from the garden to make some jam. 

We're currently on our very last jar of the jam I made last year, which means that it has lasted the full year, so we've actually been self-sufficient in jam, which is a first. Not sure if we'll be that this year. It depends on whether I do any blackberry foraging later in the year.

Anyway, here's a picture of the plot as it looked today:


Aside from the gooseberries, we harvested some beetroot, kohl rabi, lettuce, rosemary, strawberries, raspberries and potatoes, so I'll have plenty to do washing it all, making jam and pickling beetroot.

To be honest, it wasn't all about harvesting, most of my time at the plot today was spent pulling up bindweed, that seems to creep in from the edges of the plot and strangle everything. It was good to clear it all away and give everything a bit more room and light to grow.

1 comment:

  1. Harvey gets so frustrated with bindweed, it seems to want to take over the garden at times.

    You had a nice harvest.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete