Sunday 12 July 2020

More Days Off

It's Sunday morning and I've got another couple of days off work. Yesterday at work was quieter than the first day we opened, but it's to be expected for the moment. At least we are open and taking donations and cash. Until tourists and the people working in the offices return, I can't see it changing much. Hence why Boris's call for people to return to work. I think people have got used to not spending money whilst at home, and I perfectly understand that. It will probably take a while for them to get back into the habit of it, if they ever do. I rode my new bike to work on Saturday, and as I'd hoped, it was a much easier ride and shaved almost 10 minutes off the commute, making it about 45 minutes now. This is much quicker than the bus and is door to door, whereas the walk to the bus stop adds another 20 to 30 minutes to the 40 to 50 minute bus journey time. I had a little accident on the way home yesterday, as my pannier bag shot off the back of my bike and spun around in the road. Luckily, the road was not busy at the time, there was no-one behind me and it didn't hit me or the bike, or it could have been very nasty. Cycling to work is indeed a learning curve. In my pannier bag were four drinking glasses and two glass jars that I'd just bought from the shop. Unbelievably, and probably thanks to the fact that one of our volunteers had carefully wrapped them in paper, there wasn't even a crack on any of them. The only damage was sustained to LB's water bottle, which I had borrowed and was in the outside net pocket, and the pocket itself which bore the brunt. I'll be cable tying it to my bike rack in future, as I just can't risk that happening again. It may make it a squeeze to put it in the cupboard at work, but I'll work it out. I've now got two days off before I'm back at work. I'm going to take it easy and just chill. There's a big pile of ironing that I need to do, as most of my work clothes are in it, but other than that and getting to grips with my finances, I have nothing planned, which feels good. I will be glad when our Shop Manager returns to work at the end of next week though, as I'll go back to working just three days per week instead of the four I'm doing at the moment. I may do the odd extra day per week, as I'm still working down the hours I was paid by the charity during lockdown, but not every week, as it's very tiring cycling to and from work and four days is a bit too much, at least until I build up some stamina and fitness for it. I'm looking forward to possibly doing a bit of pottering around the garden these next two days and I may make a visit to my favourite vintage shop again or at least post about the last visit I made and what I bought as everything has now been washed and ironed. I hope that you are having a relaxing weekend now the sunshine is back.

4 comments:

  1. You are going to be so fit cycling everyday. That was lucky with the glassware and that it did not cause a serious accident - glad you are OK. Have a lovely couple of days off - you will need to recharge a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes I think I was lucky. I'm hoping that I don't have a repeat ever.

      Delete
  2. Glad there wasn't too much damage done after your cycling incident.

    I still haven't heard anything official about returning to the charity shop (although I know we have a new manager). To be honest shopping at a charity shop is something I can't imagine doing any time soon. I know a few people who are back in the swing of it but they're mainly dealers and resellers, so they need to make money too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of people are possibly feeling the same way as you about shopping in charity shops. I'm hoping things will pick up eventually.

      Delete