Friday 31 July 2020

Back to the Gym

Today, I finally went back to the gym to attend a Zumba class, for the first time in four months. It was exciting to go back and do an actual class along with other people.  The sports centre seemed to be taking the situation very seriously. We had to queue outside the door until the time of our class, at which point the teacher led us all inside (two metres apart).

En route, we swiped our membership cards at the barrier and continued into the high ceilinged sports hall, where 2m squared boxes were taped across the floor, so we each had a box to exercise in. There was the usual hand sanitiser available to use on entry and we didn't need to touch anything the whole way through.

The class was good, and it was so nice to finally be back at Zumba after such a long absence, probably the longest I've not gone to exercise classes in 10 years or more. It felt a little strange and some of the music and moves were unfamiliar and new to me, but I enjoyed it all the same.

At the end of the class, we were all led out of a fire exit and found ourselves back outside, so we didn't even need to pass back through the sports centre, which was good. There were only 11 of us who attended, plus the teacher, although the hall accommodated 35. I'm not so sure I'd enjoy it so much in a full class, but I could cope with this number and it was nice to have a chat with the odd familiar face before heading home.

I didn't enjoy the actual car journey over to the gym, however. As it was a really hot day today and people were out in droves, both in cars and on foot, so it was very busy. I was very happy to get home and just chill for the rest of the day out of the heat of the sun and away from the crowds.

I may try a different class next week as I heard that a friend of mine is attending a class on a Wednesday, so I may book that one and give it a try. That is assuming we still have the freedom to do so, as nothing can be taken for granted at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment