Sunday 26 July 2020

Catch Up

I'm off work for two days again, as another working week has come to an end. Work is going OK. We've increased our acceptance of donations to two days per week now the Shop Manager has returned and we are now open for 5 days per week. Consequently, the amount we are taking has increased a little, but it is still a third overall of what we took before lockdown, whilst many of the small outlying shops are doing better than before lockdown. It feels a little demoralising, we have so much good stock, but very few shoppers compared to before Covid-19. I guess it's the turn of other shops to be successful, we just have to dig in and keep doing all we can. I'm sure things will slowly improve as more people go back to work.

I'm still cycling to work and am working on alternate days at the moment, so that I get a rest day in between. I am finding it easier the more I get used to it, especially with the new bike. I took delivery of a padded seat cover and water bottle that I'd ordered from Decathalon this week, so I'm gradually getting better equipped for the journey. Any little thing that makes it easier is so worth it. I still need to buy another couple of pairs of cheap (£5.99) cycling shorts from Decathalon, so I've got a clean pair for each day I ride to work, but they're out of my size at the moment.

Face mask wearing in shops came into operation on Friday and is another thing that we have to try to be mindful of. Most people are very responsible and do wear them.  Some don't and have to be reminded to put them on. In our shop, staff are expected to wear them to make the customers feel safe. I have to admit that I enjoy getting on my bike at the end of the day and not wearing one whilst I ride home.  Being able to breathe in fresh air feels very liberating. If I catch the bus, that's another two hours of the day that I have to spend wearing one. OH doesn't know how I manage to do it, as he hates wearing them, even for short amounts of time, but does where necessary.

I'm finding that I have a little more energy on my days off these days.  I think this is partly because cycling is actually quite energising and also I am working shorter days which helps. I can't say that I'm doing anything particularly energetic on my days off though, but I am finding myself able to keep on top of chores a bit more. My gym has re-opened this weekend, but the classes on offer did not really appeal, so I will just have to wait until they extend the timetable.  It may be a few weeks yet before I return.

Work on the house is plodding on at a very slow pace, mainly because OH is busy with work again now and is cycling much more. Progress is being made though, which is something.



I bought some new cushion covers for the living room from the charity shop the other week.  I like them as they are very colourful. I want to buy a new armchair and have seen a few I like, but haven't really got the money at the moment. We're also looking for a new TV stand/unit, so I've been looking around for something suitable lately too.

OH bought LB a new chest of drawers from IKEA this week, as her old set wasn't big enough and she put them together herself. I helped a tiny bit by screwing a few screws in, something I've never done before, but we were proud of her for being so independent.  Her old set of drawers, I put out on the street and a neighbour took them within minutes which was good.



I am currently reading this new to me book that I also bought from work, called Re-engineering Retail by Doug Stephens. It is a really interesting and timely read. It is about the transformative changes going on in retail at the moment.  It was written pre-Covid, (which has only served to exacerbate further changes and a move towards more online shopping) and puts forward some very interesting ideas of where retail is heading in the future.

This morning, I did some more work on my mosaic bird bath project. Progress is very slow, as I have to be in the right mood to work on it, but a bit of progress was made today. The top of the dish is now ready to grout. Here's a picture:



I don't have any plans for the next two days.  It is near the end of the month and I am trying not to spend money I don't currently have, so it will be a case of pottering at home and doing a bit of cleaning, ironing, etc.  Besides, the weather is very changeable this weekend. It has just started raining heavily as I write this, which although good for the garden and refilling the water butts, is not so good for OH, who is currently out cycling in it.

I hope that you're enjoying your weekend whatever you are doing.




1 comment:

  1. Your birdbath looks lovely!! Love the shades of blue and green.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete