Saturday 20 September 2014

Jumble Sale Tales

Today, my favourite jumble sale was taking place at our local hospice.  I've been attending these events for the last couple of years and they are really worth a visit.  The hospice jumble sale is a very popular event, with hundreds of people attending each one.  I haven't actually attended one so far this year, as I missed the last one back in March, due to us having visitors, and due to building works they haven't had one since, until this weekend that is.  Needless to say, when I heard that there was one taking place, I just had to go along.

As I'm in the midst of Low Spend/No Spend September, I only allowed myself to take a limited amount of money, just £15.  This was all I could afford at the present time, but I went with the view that I didn't have to spend it all if I didn't see anything I liked.  For the 50p entry fee, it's a fun morning and if you find a bargain or two, even better.  Plus, of course, all proceeds go to a very important charitable cause.

My first port of call when I get to one of these sales is always the linen stall, which often has vintage bed linen and occasionally fabrics.  Many of the items for sale are thrown into large laundry bins, so it is always fun to dig down and see what is in there.  It's a bit like a lucky dip of sorts.  (Not everyone's idea of fun I realise).

Subsequently, I always take a look around the rest of the stalls.  I particularly like to check out the shoes and bags, bric a brac, nearly new shoes and clothes, books and various other areas of the sale. 

Here's what I came away with this time. 

First stop, linen table.

This lovely brand new Night Owls Tea Towel for 50p.  I've decided to stick to dark coloured tea towels from now on.  They seem to stay looking better for longer and food stains don't show up so badly.

 
This lovely retro single quilt cover for £4.  This will be added to my vintage linen collection.



Another lovely retro double sheet to go into my vintage linen collection.  This cost £2.



A fleece zebra print throw.  This looked brand new and cost £2. Great for throwing over yourself whilst watching TV in the winter.  Little Bird has already bagged this.


From the Bric a Brac table, I bought these two ramekin dishes to match some I already had.  I've needed a few more for a while, for making separate small crumbles with.  They looked to be in immaculate condition and at 50p for the two were a bargain.


I went a bit mad on the book table, despite the fact that I'm not supposed to buying any more books.  How could I resist them at 3 paperbacks for £1 and an amazing amount of choice?  I bought a total of 9 books, which worked out at approximately 50p each, as a couple were hard backed.  Many of them are by familiar authors that I enjoy reading, but there are a few new to me names in there as well.  These should keep me going well into next year.

 
 

Finally, I  bought  a couple of small bits of costume jewellery.  This lovely silver coloured acorn pendant charm.  I'm going to stick this on a silver chain and wear it this autumn, it is just so cute.  (Apologies for the quality of the photo).



I also bought these star earrings, which are a bit wacky and which Little Bird thinks I'll never get away with wearing.  We'll see. 


Bought to wear with my star print skirt, which incidently, I was wearing today.  Here's a reminder of the fabric.


 By this time, I'd run out of money completely, so it was time to head home.  Just as well really as I'm sure I could have come home with much more.  As always, I was super pleased with my purchases and the fact that I kept within my budget.  Here's to the next one, which is usually just before Christmas.

11 comments:

  1. Amazing post! And /i love your post:)
    I am now fololowing you on Bloglovin, follow me back?:

    bloglovin.com/blog/3880191
    theprintedsea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, I love the acorn charm. So pretty.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit that I really love it too. Can't wait to wear it.

      Delete
  3. Great finds, I love the teatowel and retro prints. I always think of buying from charity as a donation rather than proper shopping, and so your spending in this case was a good thing! I miss good jumble sales, there just don't seem to be as many around any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true. I remember going to them in our village as a child and buying a massive box of comics to read. I was hooked from then on.

      I guess many people just send everything to the charity shop now or sell on eBay.

      Delete
  4. Some wonderful finds! And also great that you kept to budget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps only taking a set amount with me and no cash card to draw any more out.

      Delete
  5. Some great finds within your budget ! There are no jumble sales in our village any more - just a few table top sales. We should organise one for the surplus from the shop - but storage is always a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be quite a good way of getting rid of all the old stock wouldn't it. Good luck with that if you decide to do it.

      Delete
    2. I really think it's the only way - we've tried a boot fair - a lot of work for not much money !

      Delete