Monday 8 July 2013

Strange Sunday with a Sickly Puppy

Sunday this week was a strange one.  We were up early to take Little Bird to her gymnastics club for 8.30 am.  (Shouldn't be allowed!)  I wasn't going to go as I couldn't get myself out of bed, but when she couldn't get out of bed either I decided to get up in order to try to motivate her.  She hadn't been for a few weeks as she'd injured her ankle.  It now seemed to be a lot better, but she was still a bit scared of injuring it again.

I was pleased we did go as whilst there I discovered that the instructor of a dance aerobics class I used to attend last year, was back from maternity leave, and so from next week I'm planning to resume attending her classes as they were really good and gave you a great workout.

When we got home, I settled down to a bit of blog reading before attempting to take the puppy for a walk.  She was having none of it and wouldn't move off the front door step, so I gave up.  I should have known that all wasn't well.  Minutes later I was interrupted by retching sounds in the garden and poor puppy was vomiting up her breakfast, followed by some bile.  Not nice and very alarming.

We encouraged her to drink and brought her in out of the heat for a while.  The remainder of my day was spent at home, keeping a close eye on her.  She didn't have any further episodes of vomiting but did pass something from the other end which looked suspiciously like a thick rubber balloon.  No wonder she wasn't feeling well.  We had had to bathe her the night before when she had tried to pass it, but couldn't and had got in a bit of a mess.  She was so much happier after her bath and we were happier today knowing it had finally found a way out of her system.  Unfortunately dogs will be dogs, and our dog seems to like swallowing very disgusting things when out and about off the lead.  I'm hoping that she may think twice next time, but I doubt it.

Anyway, as the day wore on she kept on drinking and eating small amounts and by later in the evening had perked up remarkably to the point of being playful and even slightly naughty again.  (Always a good sign).  We are keeping a close eye on her, but were reluctant to take her to the emergency vet as our last visit with a guinea pig had resulted in it being very shabbily treated at the end of it's happy life, and we were not prepared to risk her receiving similar treatment.  If she is no better today then the likelihood is that we will take her to our regular vet to be assessed.

Hence why Sunday afternoon I stayed at home, dog nursing, doing a bit of research and work for my business, listening to the tennis on the radio and generally having a lazy day whilst Little Bird frolicked in the paddling pool in a neighbour's garden with her friends.  One good thing did come out of staying home and that was that OH decided to tidy his side of the shelves in the bedroom.  They went from this

 
to this,
 
 
in a couple of hours.  It was quite a cull and I was suitably impressed.  He can do this more often.  Now I can fill his shelves with some of my clutter. 
 
The great bedroom declutter progresses.  Proper reveal to follow.

2 comments:

  1. Poor pup ! It must have been horrible for you all.
    I stayed in out of the heat & watched the Wimbledon final !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She didn't look too good, but thankfully today she's been much better and much noisier. By the way, thank you so much for the Lancôme products, they arrived this morning. I can't wait to start using them. I'll let you know how I get on.

      Delete