Thursday 4 July 2013

A Year of Beauty Products for £100 Challenge

I have decided to join in with blogger A Thrifty Mrs in her challenge to spend less than £100 in a year on beauty products.  The year started on 27th June and will continue until 27th June next year.

The products included in the challenge include shower gel, bath foam, hair products, perfume, makeup, hand cream, deodorant, skin care, hand washes, soaps, dental products and applicators such as brushes, wipes or cotton pads .

Not included are medications, sanitary wear, sun protection and pain relief and in my case contact lenses/cleaner which I am classing as medications for the purposes of this challenge.

Like El of A Thrifty Mrs blog, I too have a stockpile of beauty products which I have accumulated mostly from Approved Food and Boots when they've had offers in the last six months or so, or which have been given to me as gifts and I haven't yet used.  I'm hoping that this stash will make this challenge possible and it will be a good excuse to use up what I have before buying anything else.

Talking of gifts, you can still receive gifts of beauty products which are not included in the challenge, so if anyone is reading from my family I'm hoping I get some Coco Chanel for my birthday this year or for Christmas, as I have currently run out.  I do have a few other perfumes to use up so I shouldn't smell too badly.  Must remember to put it on my wish list.

I must admit that I do wear very little makeup, and my current tinted moisturiser has lasted for at least a few months, is still going strong and I've already bought another one in readiness for when it runs out.  I also have enough hand cream and soap to last me for several years, not just one.  In addition, I have various shampoos, conditioners, shower gel, toothpaste, etc. to keep me going for a while and will post a total of what I spend on beauty products on a monthly basis, so you can see how I am faring. I've taken a couple of photographs of all the unused products currently in my possession, so you can see where I'm starting from.  Here goes.

 
In this photo are facial washes (5), soaps (11), toothpaste (4), tooth brushes (3)
mini handbag wipes (5), facial wipes (2) cotton pads (1) plus a couple of travel/sample sized toothpastes.
 
 
Shampoo (1), conditioner (3) plus various samples/small bottles from magazines or hotel bathrooms  handbag sized hairspray (1) shower gel (1) concealers (2) emery boards (3 packs) various nail varnishes and makeup  hand wash (1) travel hand rub (1) hand/body creams (5) and two sample sized ones   deodorant (1)  moisturiser (6 + 1 tinted) eye serums (2) blemish serums (3) plus samples
 
I think I have a fair amount to keep me going for a while.  It's pretty scary when you see it all laid out.  Hence why I'm joining this challenge.  It's amazing to think I manage to keep all these things in just a couple of baskets.

6 comments:

  1. What a great challenge. I think it is probably one that is completely beyond me though , but I am making myself finish up the stash I have before purchasing anything else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I did my usual of commenting on my own blog rather than replying. Thanks for stopping by. It will be a nice way to clear some clutter from our bedroom and bathroom too.

      Delete
  2. It will be an enjoyable way to clear some clutter in our bedroom and bathroom too, storing all these products.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always gather up those little shampoo / body wash bottles & soap bars from hotels & use them when on short stays somewhere so never have to buy those travel sized ones !

    Having changed my toner / moisturiser to Liz Earle recently - which I love and her sheer skin tint - I have a Lancome cleanser & toner I don't use... Would you like them ? It cost a fortune but I found it too stringent.

    Also have Nivea tinted moisturiser not used much as preferr my lancome one.

    Happy to send them to de clutter my drawer !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is really kind of you. It might be quite expensive to post them though. I will email you my address if you are sure you don't mind. Thank you very much.

      Delete
  4. Pennysteel@talktalk.net

    I can't find the nivea. Don't mind postage _ bloggers are a generous crowd I've found in swaps & give aways !

    ReplyDelete