Saturday 6 October 2018

Unintentional Decluttering

Yesterday, another item left our home. Unfortunately, it didn't do so by intention. Whilst doing some errands on our local high street, someone stole my bike. My favourite bike that I really love.  Just to qualify, I have two, a very old battered one, that I usually use so that no-one steals my favourite one.  That much dreaded occurrence happened yesterday and I can still hardly believe it.

It was locked up with a decent lock, which went through both tyres and around the frame as well as the bike stand.  I can only think that someone cut through the lock with bolt cutters and made off with it in the middle of a busy high street with hundreds of people milling around.

I was gutted when I came back to find it gone. I know it's not the end of the world, but I loved that bike, OH used it regularly to get around to jobs and we take care of our things, even when they aren't very expensive. I won't easily be able to replace it, as it is no longer sold by the company I bought it from. My only hope is to find another on eBay, so I've set up a search already.

I reported it to the Police, and despite checking out CCTV images of the area, although not ones in the immediate vicinity, as they obviously weren't working, the case was immediately closed, so nothing further will be done. I have a crime reference number to claim on our home insurance policy, but with it only being worth £100, why should I have to and risk a higher premium next year.

It makes me so angry, that certain people think that the world owes them a dishonest living stealing other peoples' possessions.  I'm not interested in their self-deluded excuses that there are no opportunities for them in this life. They choose to steal, instead of earning an honest living. I may sound unsympathetic, but they are making a lifestyle choice and victimising others into the process. They are the lowest of the low in my eyes.

Yes, I can afford to replace my bike, should I chose to, and I am lucky to have two bikes, albeit neither being expensive ones, but that doesn't mean I deserve to have one stolen or that anyone else is entitled to help themselves to my possessions.  I see it everyday at work, and now on my days off too. I'm fast becoming very, very cynical about the world in which we live.

From now on, I refuse to even go to said high street at all. I'm tired of being accosted by drunks and drug takers on the streets and public transport, wanting me to give them money to indulge their addictions, I'm tired of thieves who come into the shop and who operate in our community, who expect everyone else to cough up for them to live the life they want. I may work for a charity, but even the limit of my charitable feelings is being stretched at the moment. Something needs to change and soon. I won't be giving them the opportunity to make me a victim anymore, if I can possibly help it.

5 comments:

  1. I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments - scum. Hope you are able to source the bike you want.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. man. that stinks!
    sorry for your loss of your favorite bike,
    shameless thief

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awful and I think everyone will understand and share your anger and frustration. I really feel for you and hope you find a good replacement soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear of your misfortune - how sad when you cannot even go the local shops and leave your bike. Some people just cannot keep their hands off other peoples possessions.
    Hope you manage to find a replacement. The begging situation on the streets is getting out of hand and spoils it for the ones who are really homeless rather than those that are pretending.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally understand your anger. Several years ago when Joe was a teenager, there was a period of bike theft in the village. They stole Joes bike which had been a birthday present. They stole a Dutch bike my friend's father had given her and he had recently died.
    We knew who they were, boys Joes age who used to come to tea here when at primary school, getting paid with drugs
    I feel your disappointment x

    ReplyDelete