Friday 26 October 2018

Day 5 - Thursday - More Cleaning

Day 5 of my week's leave was spent at home again. After venturing out to the mall yesterday, I was happy to stay put today and continue with some cleaning. First things first, the dog needed walking, but once we'd got back I made the flaky mince pieces to use up the puff pastry from the freezer and then set about deep cleaning the kitchen.

It took about 4 or so hours to give it a good clean.  It feels so much better knowing that it is all now clean.  I didn't clean inside all of the cupboards, but a few did get cleaned out, mainly because they've been visited by our mouse in residence.  Yes, we have a mouse and despite setting numerous traps, it refuses to go near them. 

Believe me, I don't really enjoy having a rodent in the house, but this mouse seems to be particularly intelligent, so we have tolerated him thus far.  However, seeing how many droppings there were around the kitchen (not on counters or in food cupboards might I add), I'm starting to feel like he's outstayed his welcome.


I'm hoping we can catch him humanely and set him free somewhere away from our house, but we haven't had any luck doing so as yet.  He's even too quick for the dog.  He is quite a character, we can often hear him behind the fridge or washing machine, crunching the dog's kibble, which he's stolen off her dish. What a cheek!

Anyway, there's not much cleaning left to do now, just the upstairs bathroom and LB's bedroom which I will probably get around to tomorrow afternoon, as she is heading out to meet her friends. It hasn't been much of a rest this holiday, but at least I feel like I've got back on top of the house.  I now just need to keep on top of it.

Once all of the cleaning is done, I'm going to visit the allotment to harvest any produce left on it and dig everything over. I haven't been to do work on the plot for weeks now, so I'm quite looking forward to it, although it will be quite hard work.  I'm particularly looking forward to harvesting some more beetroot and then pickling it, as I've now run out and have been buying it for the past couple of weeks.

I think by the time this week is over, I'll be happy to go back to work for a rest (or a change at least)!

1 comment:

  1. It's tough working and then having to spend any holiday trying to catch up at home, but at the same time the feeling of having got the house straight is a wonderful feeling as good as a holiday sometimes. Keeping everything in good order whilst working is the difficult bit I found. I am not working now but still struggling to keep on top of things!

    Have you tried the dog biscuits as bait in the traps!

    ReplyDelete