Monday 3 July 2017

A Funny Old Week

It's been a bit of a rollercoaster of a week this last week. I had two pretty bad commutes home from the CS, one due to a broken down train, the other the result of an exchange of words with another passenger that I won't go into, but which wasn't an enjoyable encounter.
 
Anyway, after that on Thursday I hit an impasse and was having a bit of a crisis. As I said a few weeks ago, I was really struggling to enjoy my work at the CS at the moment, due to the lack of variation in my day. After a lot of thinking about it, I decided that I would have to talk to the manager and either cut my hours or see what else could be done.

I hope I'm not coming across as being a diva, it's not really like that. I'm pretty easy going, but I just felt a bit marginalised on the till all the time I'm there and it's not really making good use of my skills. It was also just killing the experience for me if I'm honest. No one probably realises how I feel, because I don't complain or moan about it, I just get on with it.

Anyway, on Thursday, exhausted by the stress of it all I took myself off to bed for a nap in the afternoon and when I woke up I discovered a voice mail from my manager.  I was a bit concerned at first, but it turned out to be a potential paid temporary job opportunity at another shop in London, that he wanted to let me know about.

After a bit of toing and froing, I decided to apply and arranged to go to said shop for an informal 'chat' with one of the managers there on Saturday.  On Saturday morning I headed off to a local mall for a haircut (it was long overdue) on account of the 'interview' and then from there headed into town to the shop.

The 'chat' lasted a couple of hours and seemed to go reasonably well, although I wasn't sure I'd get the job, as they were looking for someone full time and I stressed that I could only work part-time for a maximum of 3 days per week.  With the summer holidays coming up, I'm just not prepared to work more than that, as I want to spend some time with LB. I had to be very firm on that point, for both my sanity and for the smooth running of family life here.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I got a call today and I've got the job.  I've got to go in on Wednesday to expedite some paperwork, so that I can start as soon as possible.  It's very exciting and  nerve wracking in equal measures, but I'm looking forward to a new challenge in a much larger shop and with more responsibility. The job itself is for just 3 months, which over the summer isn't ideal, but sometimes you've got to take an opportunity where it presents itself and run with it.

Wish me luck, as I need all that I can muster.

10 comments:

  1. Wow! Wishing you the best of luck as you start this new challenge.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes wishing you good luck for the new job. Hope it goes well and you enjoy your new challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley, and thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  3. Well done, you. I'm sure you can manage the job and family at the same time. Good luck and congratulations.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mum, I'll certainly try to do my best.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations you have staying power, reliability and were seeking more responsibility - you will be perfect for the job. A new job is always daunting but once you are settled in I am sure it will be a good move for you. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm completely exhausted after my first afternoon. I went in to do some paperwork and of course, ended up staying on for the rest of the day, but it was good to be thrown right in and try to get to know everyone a little bit. It will make it easier going in next time. (i.e. tomorrow!)

      Delete
  5. Well done, the right thing at the right time! Wishing you all the best, three months is a good initial stretch I think, you'll really know how you feel about things after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think that my previous manager could possibly see that I was ready for a change and that was why he put me forward.

      Delete