Wednesday 4 May 2016

Living With Less Stuff 2016

Once again, it's been a couple of months since I posted on the subject of this project, again mainly due to being away towards the end of March, so my regular end of month postings didn't happen.

In the last post of this kind I had reached 306 items donated this year, in my attempt at shedding at least another 500 items in 2016.  In March, I put aside another 89 items and in April I found a further 15, which now brings the total to 410.

Unfortunately, they are all still sat in the spare bedroom awaiting the next Give and Take date to be announced.  I've been scouring the local free newspaper waiting for an announcement, as I really can't wait to take them all.  In fact, I got so impatient, I actually went to the council website this month and found the date that way.  It's in two weeks time.  I just want the space back that all this stuff is taking up. As you can see from the photograph, the poor dressmakers dummy looks like she's just drowning in stuff.



In addition, we have some visitors coming to stay for a week in June, so I definitely need to get the spare room cleared by then and I still have a few sorting jobs to do in there, that are being hampered by this huge pile of donations.

It's proving an illuminating experience working in the charity shop, as it does alter your view of what you actually send as a donation to a charity shop. If things aren't in good condition, do people really want to buy them? I'm pleased that I am able to give things to these local events, and although they don't raise money for charity, they do help people in need and avoid things going into landfill, especially things that could still be used, but couldn't really be sold in a shop.

There is still a box of items in the pile, that I am intending to take to a local charity shop and I am definitely going to take it this month and not leave it sat there any longer.  Procrastination seems to be my middle name at the moment.

The pace of finding things to donate has definitely slowed down.  I am finding it increasingly difficult to find more items, which is a good thing, as it means I've more or less got our stuff down to an acceptable level. There are, however,  a few corners left that need to be purged, when I get the chance and a few more things sent on their way.  I just need to get back into decluttering mode.  I think it will help once this pile has gone, as I am currently loathe to seek out more things to add to it and then have to inch past them when I go into the room.  Roll on May 14th.

If I can, I will try to take some photos at the next Give and Take event and give you a taste of what they are like and the kind of things that get donated.  It all really depends on whether I can park nearby and go in for any length of time.  At least the next event is only 5 or 10 minutes up the road so it should be easy to find, unlike some I've attended.

I'll post again next month on progress with this project.


1 comment:

  1. I'm at the stage where I want to do one in and two out. The clutter is bound to go down.
    xx

    ReplyDelete