Tuesday 3 May 2016

Enjoying the Bank Holiday Weekend

I really enjoyed this Bank Holiday weekend.  It's not that common for us to spend the weekend at home in London, as we often take advantage of the extra day to travel north and visit family, but for a change we decided to stay put.

It was also enjoyable to have a definite project to work on, as sometimes Bank Holidays can drag if you haven't got any plans or any visitors, so building the garden veg beds definitely helped to give the weekend a bit of structure and purpose.  It felt really good to get them built and really didn't take that long once the wood had been purchased and treated.

In addition to working on this project, we had a meal out on Sunday evening for a treat, I managed to empty the ironing basket of four loads of washing and get it all put away, OH managed a long cycle ride with his club, LB did some revision and I did a mammoth supermarket shop.  We hardly had anything in the house to eat, so on Monday I was forced to venture out and do my weekly shop.

I have to admit that it wasn't ideal doing it on a Bank Holiday Monday, but I was pleased to find lots of yellow stickered bargains, such as some free range chicken, my favourite brand of chicken sausages, some pizzas, strawberries and some breakfast items such as potato cakes, pancakes and crumpets, which I eat daily.

As a consequence, I fully stocked up the freezer and it should see us through a good part of the month.  I did of course spend more money than I anticipated, but this blow was softened by being able to use a £10 off voucher that I'd been sent from Tesco.  So it was a good start to the month on the grocery front.

I also collected an order I'd made on line for some whole foods from Holland and Barrett, which were on offer in their sale.  I added a few essential oils onto the order, as they were in the Penny sale, so I now have all of the fragrances I could ever need for making natural beauty products. It also enabled me to use my £1 voucher and I got free collection from a shop just around the corner too.

I didn't manage to do any exercise this weekend, other than gardening and walking the dog, mainly because of my neck, but also because I couldn't book some of the classes as they were full.  I'm making sure I book early this week though, as I need to get back to it.

All in all, we had a good weekend and feel relaxed and ready for the week ahead. I hope you had a good Bank Holiday weekend too.

2 comments:

  1. I so wish we had yellow stickers here. While Walmart does do it the meat looks almost slimy in the packages. Not going to buy that!!!

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't blame you. I usually only buy things that I can put straight in the freezer and take them out the day I want to use them so they don't go over anymore, rendering them inedible.

      Sometimes I do see meat in the reduced section that doesn't look at all appetising, so I steer clear too.

      Delete