Friday 18 November 2022

A New EPP Patchwork Project

This week, I started a new English paper pieced patchwork project. I've got four on the go at the moment, as I like to give myself some variety and I've come to the conclusion that one of them isn't really working for me, so I've laid it aside for the time being.

Another one I've finished, but I need to sew it into a cushion panel and the third, I've almost finished the top, but need to piece the bottom, as it's going to be a reversible table runner. Anyway, I'll continue to work on this one, but it's going to be a slow burner, as is this new one that I've started.



The new project is going to be made in a similar fashion to the Hexi lap quilt I made recently, (pictured above) where I made multicoloured hexi diamonds on a dark grey background. I liked the contrast of the plain and patterned fabrics in this quilt. The only difference is going to be colour and shape of the pieces.  

This new quilt will be made with small rectangles pieced together as in the photograph below:



This is the first completed block. It took quite a while to piece together. Probably a whole afternoon from scratch, but I think it will take less time as I get used to the construction process. There are 25 rectangles in each block and I will be making three blocks in each of 4 fabrics, which should produce enough blocks to complete the quilt. 

The infill between blocks will be a plain blue fabric, probably a dark blue or navy, but there may be smaller configurations of rectangles between each row of blocks. I haven't quite worked out the pattern fully yet. That is half the fun. 

I'm looking to use a linen fabric again as the plain fabric, as I like the weight and texture and it makes the quilt a bit heavier. I have ordered a sample of some navy linen on eBay and may purchase this if I like it, but for the moment, I will just focus on making the patterned blocks, until I have made as many as I need.

I completed a second block this week, which is pictured below:


And another fabric I will be using for blocks is this one:


The one's I've chosen are mostly vintage florals, but I may add other fabrics into the mix.  I'm excited to be starting a new project to keep me occupied during the autumn/winter months and I'll keep you posted on progress.

4 comments:

  1. That is a true labour of love, I still have loads of hexagons left, all made ready to stitch together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good to have a project to take you through the winter evenings. Your patchwork is so lovely and the dark backgrounds do make the patterns really stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the quilt is going to be just gorgeous. Love the fabrics you are using.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hexie lap quilt is lovely. I started EPP this year and really enjoy the process.

    ReplyDelete