Friday 22 July 2022

The Hottest Week

This week, I got off to an early start on Monday, when I headed off to do the weekly shop at about 8.15am. I figured I would get it done and get home before it started getting hot, on what was predicted to be one of the hottest days of the year here in the UK.

Before I'd even got a few hundred yards up the road I was being verbally abused by a young male driver telling me I was a _____ bitch and needed to learn how to ______ drive. Nice. I didn't let it get to me. It was his anger problem, not mine. Hot weather brings the crazy out in people I've noticed here in London.

Anyway, the Lidl store I went to was super quiet at this time in the morning, so was really easy to get around and I was in and out. I spent less than I have done in a long time too, mainly out of necessity, but partly because I only bought what was truly essential this week.

By 10.30am  I was home and putting the shopping away.

We closed all the blinds and windows in an attempt to keep the house cool whilst the sun was shining outside. It did work to keep the inside temperatures bearable. OH had to drag the dog inside. She wasn't happy and made a fuss, but we didn't want her getting overheated outside, although she had dug herself down into the soil to keep cool in the shade.

I didn't really plan on doing anything for the day. I unpacked from the weekend, did a bit of laundry, did the washing up and looked for some holiday accommodation in the UK, but I didn't attempt to do much else. The priority was keeping cool. I took the time to take it easy, read a little and spend some time online. I did take LB to work in the car, as she didn't want to catch the bus in the heat, but that was all I ventured out for.

Tuesday, was also supposed to be a very hot day, but I was due to go into Central London for something I'd arranged six weeks ago. I dressed as weather appropriately as possible and headed out for the bus. I took a frozen bottle of water and a fan with me and managed to keep reasonably comfortable on the journey. I was heading to a course that caught my eye a while back. The building was super well air conditioned so we were all beautifully cool on the hottest day ever in the UK.  I took sandwiches with me so that I didn't need to buy any whilst there. The bus journey home wasn't so pleasant, neither was the evening, as it took forever to cool down, but I slept okay, which was good.

Wednesday, was  a cooler day, but I still headed out with the dog early. I did some blackberry picking whilst on the dog walk and managed to get a bagful. The hot weather must have caused a lot of the fruit to ripen, which was fortuitous.

When I got back I pottered around the garden, pruning back here and there for 10 minutes and then later headed out on my bike to the last Soca Aerobics class until September. When it resumes in September, it will take place in a Leisure Centre closer to my home, so it will be a much shorter journey to get there.

The class was really good and at the end, because it was the last class of the term, the Manager of the Leisure Centre provided cakes, drinks and crisps for all the participants.  It was a really nice gesture, so I stayed, had something to eat and chatted to one of the other ladies there. It was a very thoughtful thing for them to do and who can say no to that.

On Thursday, I did a bit more blackberry picking on the dog walk again. The dog then insisted that I visit the allotment plot (she likes to go there to look out for the fox). I needed to go anyway to pick the remainder of the blackcurrants, which I did. I harvested some tomatoes, cucumbers, a courgette, beetroot and lettuce and then I watered as much as I could before heading home.

Unfortunately, I think some of the tomatoes were showing early signs of blight, so I removed all of the leaves, to help stop the spread and removed any fruit that were turning red, just in case, as these could be ripened up at home. Fingers crossed that we won't lose the whole of the rest of the crop.

In the afternoon, I pickled the beetroot, along with some more that I'd picked last week, making another couple of jars. I'm now a bit short on jam jars and may have to recycle a few more as we use their contents.

I also took all the vegetables out of the vegetable drawer in the fridge that were going a little soft and cut them up and made them into stew packs or just packs for freezing. I hate to waste anything we grow, but the hot weather isn't really conducive to making and eating stews, so some of them just aren't getting used at the moment. At least we'll have them to look forward to in the winter.

Later, I needed to go to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription and also drop into the library to take back, renew and take out some new books. Both are very near to each other, so I could combine these errands. I decided to walk and get the extra exercise. 

OH booked us a holiday in the UK today, which was exciting. I think we could all do with a break, so I'm looking forward to it.  We're heading to Devon for a week in a few weeks time.

On Friday, I woke up to a much cooler day and I was glad of it. After walking the dog, I decided to sew up the side of the single duvet cover I'd made for LB for University. It didn't take long. I zig zag stitched the edge, to secure it, as I no longer have an overlocker. Hopefully it should be okay. Whilst I had the sewing machine out, I did a couple of other sewing jobs I'd put to one side.

As it was cool, I also took the opportunity to do some ironing on Friday.  I'd left it for nearly two weeks. The pile was building up again and my drawers were virtually empty of the clothes I usually wear. It's good in a way, as it has forced me to wear things that don't get worn too often. It's just been way too hot to even think about ironing lately. 

I also made more jam from the fruit I'd picked this week. It made another 4 jars. I think there's now 12 or 13 jars in the fridge.  I think that's enough jam making for me for this year.

Whilst ironing, I watched a couple of movies on Netflix and a documentary about tax havens. They were all good. It's been a pretty varied week this week, which is a good thing, with small bits of progress made.

I hope you've managed okay in the heatwave and have had a good week.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I had remembered to freeze my drinking bottle- would have been very cooling!
    Oh no, not blight!!! I hope not! I am PRAYING I do not get blight this year after 2 years of it!
    My friend's dog was exactly the same! I must look for blackberries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry that you had to put up with a rather rude driver. Heat does make people behave badly I find. Considering that your country is not used to this kind of heat I really feel for you.

    You really got lots accomplished through the week. Enjoy your break in Devon.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete