Monday 11 July 2022

Frugal Things W/E 9/7/22

Frugality has come back to the fore in our household in recent weeks since I left my job and we've returned to living on one income. I've reverted to my previous default mode of looking for ways to save money and spend less. This last week I've done the following to help the household finances:

I've made several jars of jam from home grown fruit and jars of pickled beetroot from homegrown beetroot.

I've shopped only for what we actually need when doing the weekly food shop. No unnecessary extras for the time being. We don't go without and I've got a small stockpile of quite a few things, which has helped. 

I visited the library and picked up several books to peruse, mostly ones about starting a business and one about natural housekeeping.

I've attended some free or super cheap classes at our local leisure centre, to save money.

We've harvested homegrown potatoes, peas and lettuce for a few weeks now, so I don't need to buy these for the immediate future.

I've cancelled any standing orders and direct debits that weren't strictly necessary. I don't honestly know why I didn't do this before.

I've potted up some baby plants from one of my houseplants, to create new plants. There's already another one growing from the mother plant too. 

I've finally sold off some shares that just weren't performing. With a recession supposedly on it's way, I doubt that they will perform any better in future months, so I have cut my losses on them. 

I've spent time catching up on lots of jobs at home, that had been really neglected when I was working. Making the best of and being grateful for what you already have is very satisfying and very frugal too.

I've foraged for blackberries.  There weren't a huge amount that were ripe enough to pick just yet, but I found a large cupful, that I can mix with other berries to make more jam.

I have pulled out unused things that were sitting in cupboards and started to use them, instead of buying new things.

I've got back out on my bike instead of taking the car. 

I have cut my personal spending (not including things I have bought for starting a new business), by not visiting the shops and buying things I don't need.

I've picked up useful things, that have been discarded by other people, to use at home where needed. 

I've placed an order with Approved Foods for the first time since Lockdown, to stock up on some things we use regularly at good prices and managed to qualify for free delivery. 

I've continued to work on a quilted cushion cover, using fabric I already have, to keep me occupied on an evening. 

I think that's about all, but I'm honing my frugal skills again and putting them to good use. It's been a while, but they are coming back to me slowly.

 

 

 

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds a very productive time, as always its about have time to make these decisions and time to do things differently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a feeling we will all be honing our frugal skills once again. I am cutting down old clothing and old torn jeans to make fabric for quilts. It seems our gas company is applying for a 16% increase in price and the electric company is trying for 11%. Having warm covers to snuggle in will make the cold winter evenings much more bearable.

    You did really well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete