Friday 8 July 2022

Disappointment and Amazement

It's been a disappointing week this week in some ways, not all. The main reason for this was that we had to cancel all of our holiday plans. After booking accommodation and having the ferry booked for over a year, after OH got Covid, we got delayed getting all the paperwork for the dog done in time and it threw everything into chaos. After a couple of days trying to juggle through it, we just decided to give up on the idea. It was going to be very expensive and there were still risks attached to being able to go at all, that we just didn't want to take.

OH managed to cancel two of the bookings for free, which was amazing. We're now just looking at losing a few hundred pounds on the ferry booking, unless we get our act together and book a ferry somewhere else. A week by a pool would have been so lovely, but sometimes these things happen for a reason, so I'm trying to be philosophical.

Looking for a holiday closer to home, I'm horrified at the prices of accommodation in the UK these days, which is in the thousands for a week, with very little availability. It's left me feeling a little cynical and down hearted, but as I don't work now, I don't feel as in need of a holiday as I might otherwise have done. When all is said and done, it maybe isn't the best time to be splashing out thousands of pounds for a couple of weeks away. I'm sure the dog doesn't care one way or the other. We might see if we can try to book something in the UK, but I'm not holding out too much hope. I'll keep you posted.

In other news, we had our inspection at the allotment and things seemed to go okay. I did get a message to ask me to cut down a young Ash tree that was growing on my plot, as it was getting too big. I didn't realise that it was an Ash tree, but it was already 10 feet high, so I went along with my loppers and cut it right back until OH can help me dig it out. I felt a little bad doing it, especially when there is so much Ash dieback, but it could end up costing the site a lot of money keeping it under control in the future, so I did as I was asked.

Some more positive gardening news, on Thursday I was amazed to see this cactus in a pot on the patio blooming. I've never seen it grow a flower like this on a long stem. It's amazing. Here's a couple of pictures:


Amazing!



1 comment:

  1. So sorry that the holiday fell through, and I do hope you can perhaps book a few days somewhere in the UK. Yep prices are crazy.

    What a gorgeous flower on that cactus. Amazing.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete