Tuesday 25 January 2022

A Productive Monday

My week off started with a class at the gym. I ran into more problems when I got there, as they've decided to scrap a scratch card system for parking and so I am expecting to get a parking ticket this week.  They did say that they would squash the ticket if I bring it in along with my scratchcard, but it's a whole lot of bother that wouldn't be necessary if they'd just given us a bit of a warning about the change.

Anyway, it will now cost £1.50 to park each time I use the gym, instead of 75p which the scratch card system reduced it to. I know it's only a relatively small increase, but everything seems to be getting more expensive at the moment. I might consider riding my non-electric bike to the gym sometimes, but as I always combine going to the gym in the car, with doing the weekly shop, this isn't really going to be a good solution. I'll probably just have to pay up and shut up.

Talking of the weekly shop, I managed to keep costs low this week and got everything we needed for just £56. I did use a £2 off coupon that I'd earned, but I think that's still the least I've spent at Lidl on a weekly shop, for at least a couple of years. This shop should easily see us through the week. I think I tend to overbuy on a regular basis, so this week is a good opportunity to use things up. We won't starve.

After getting back and having lunch, OH helped me get all of the Christmas decorations into the loft. It was good to get them out of sight, as they've been cluttering up the spare bedroom/my sewing room for the last 3 weeks. I love Christmas, but once it's over, I'm over it and want to get back to normal.

I decided to do a bit of financial filing this afternoon. I always throw all my financial paperwork that comes in during the year, into a filing box and then file it all away once per year, usually in January. It's mainly just bank statements, credit card statements, the odd pension statement, nothing very important. I just find this the easiest way to deal with paperwork and it seems to have served me well enough over the years. Once done, it was another thing crossed off the to do list and gave me a sense of satisfaction.

I then put away the ironing from the day before, did the washing up which had built up over the weekend, before taking the dog out. Days just slip past so quickly at the moment, I don't know where the hours go.

I had to cancel a dentist appointment for LB today, as her ankle still wasn't recovered enough to walk easily. I re-booked for a couple of weeks time. It worked out better for me financially, as I can't really afford to pay for her checkup this month. Next month shouldn't be quite as tight as this month has been, although it is still going to be a challenge, but at least it's a short month with only 28 days in it.

I also managed to persuade LB to contact the doctor about a skin condition that's been troubling her recently. After sending photos to the doctor via email, she had a long conversation with him on the telephone and he diagnosed her as having psoriasis, which he thinks is related to a thyroid issue she's had lately. Anyway, he's prescribed some cream, so hopefully, this should help to clear it up for now. It felt good to get on top of this issue, which has been bothering her for about 6 weeks now. At least she now knows what it is.

In all, Monday felt like quite a productive day. The house still needs a good clean, but quite a few things got sorted out, so it felt like I'd made some progress with outstanding issues. I'm hoping the rest of the week continues in the same vein.


No comments:

Post a Comment