Tuesday 25 January 2022

A Day at Work and an Unexpected Start to my Week Off

On Saturday, I returned to work for just one day, before taking a week's leave. Work was okay. There was plenty of work to do, as I'd not been there for three days, but I managed to get most of what I needed to do done. In a charity shop, there is always more you can do, you've just got to be realistic about what you can achieve in a day. 

Anyway, on Sunday morning we woke up to a Whatsapp message from LB. She was on the train back from Manchester, but had cockled over and twisted her ankle on the way to the station. She sent a photo of it looking swollen and sore. I said we'd meet her at Euston station when she arrived back in London. OH had to rearrange a cycling meet up with a friend, but we couldn't let her hobble off the train and into a cab alone.

I then got up and got dressed and went down to breakfast.  I put some washing in the machine and then spent most of the remainder of the morning watching a few YouTube videos and writing a shopping list for  the weekly shop the following day. I had a very tight budget this week, as it's the last week before I get paid, so I didn't want to buy anything unnecessary. We've got quite a bit of food in the house, so I only really needed the fresh basics,plus a few items we had run out of. 

Later, OH and I set off to pick LB up. Unfortunately, we couldn't easily get anywhere near to Euston station in the car, from the front anyway, because of roadworks, so I jumped out and headed into the station on foot, and OH ended up having to go home to get back in time to go out for his cycle ride.

I was surprised at how packed it was inside Euston station. I gradually managed to make my way through crowds of people to find LB outside the platform where she'd got off the train. Luckily she could walk on her ankle, but it was painful.  We headed outside to a bus stop nearby, where we jumped on a bus back to Hackney. We had to swap buses as we got near to home, so that we could get as close to the house as possible, but eventually we got on a bus that dropped us off at the top of our street.

LB was exhausted after a weekend of going out until the early hours with her friends, so she went straight up to bed and I made her a bacon sandwich, gave her an ice pack for her ankle and then settled myself down to a bowl of vegetable soup for lunch. It made for a different Sunday morning anyway.

After lunch, I hung out the washing and then finally settled down to doing an hour or two of ironing before the afternoon dog walk called. It was satisfying to halve the ironing pile, which by now was tumbling over every time you try to take something from further down it than the top. I felt a little bit more productive than I've been for the last week. OH has recently decided that he doesn't want me to iron his clothes anymore, as he has developed a hatred of the ironing pile of doom.  Suits me, as it makes the pile a little less overwhelming, but not much, as OH doesn't go through anywhere near as many clothes as I do in any given period. Maybe one day I'll stop ironing my clothes too, but I can't see it somehow.


1 comment:

  1. Since I stopped working the only things I iron is the occasional dress shirt for Harvey and myself and perhaps a skirt or dress when I actually wear one.

    I hope LB's ankle is much less swollen after the ice treatment.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete