Sunday 14 June 2020

Garden and Allotment Update

It's been a few weeks since I posted a garden/allotment update, so here goes.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Anyway, the lovely corner of foxgloves that I transplanted are now virtually over and about to set seed.  I decided to put paper bags over the tops of some of the white ones in order to catch some of the seed to potentially sew in other parts of the garden.  I have cut the seed heads off most of the purple ones, as I only want white ones to self seed. It will be interesting to see what happens.
 
This weekend, I spent most of Saturday in the garden cutting stuff back that was getting a bit overwhelming, planting my acer into the border. Here it is tucked underneath this corkscrew hazel.  it adds a bit of colour to this border. I may need to move it when it outgrows this space, but for now it's perfect.
 
 
The rose bush that I bought the other week is now in full bloom and very pretty it is too.
 
 
Whilst out in the garden, I swept the decking, pulling out all the pots and sweeping behind them. It was long overdue and it all now looks a lot tidier. I also created space outside the back door for OH to grow on some of his tomato plants, as it gets full sun for most of the day there. Here's a picture of the decking as it is now:
 
 
We keep our brown garden waste bin at the back now, as people would walk past and deposit their rubbish in it when it was in the front garden. It's a bit of an eyesore, but at least it's easier to fill it when it's in the back garden and we don't have to traipse the garden waste through the house. We just wheel it up the stairs and out to the front on the day that it is collected now.
 
 
I also harvested all of the gooseberries and blackcurrants from the garden on Saturday morning.  There weren't masses, but what there is, combined with what I harvested from the allotment later, will all get made into jam next week.
 
Another small thing I made for the garden this week was a new peg bag. I made it out of a small piece of shower curtain fabric that I had in my stash. I couldn't see me using this for anything else and at least the pegs will not get wet, as they do in the fabric bag I made last time. The old one was looking decidedly shabby and needed retiring. Here's a picture of the new one:
 
 
 
The raised beds in our garden are OH's domain these days. They are fully planted up with all kinds of lettuce, spinach, bush beans, kale, kohl rabi and sunflowers. We have been harvesting some lettuce leaves, but I prefer a nice head of lettuce, so I'm hoping these plants will develop into heads eventually. There is some kale ready to harvest, which I keep meaning to do, but I never seem to get around to it, probably because I'm the only person in the house who will eat it. Here's a picture of the beds:
 
 
 
 
 
There are still lots more things to do in the garden, but they are mainly big jobs that will take a bit of thought, planning and organisation. In the meantime, I can always buy a few more plants when I see them and fill in some gaps and then just sit in it and enjoy it. I definitely need to do more of that.
 
How is your garden?

1 comment:

  1. Your peg bag is very cute!

    My garden looks a little bit bare, but I've moved quite a few plants around this weekend so it's just a case of waiting for it to fill out.

    Thankfully we're having sun followed by rain followed by sun so it should mean things perk up quite quickly.

    ReplyDelete