Saturday 9 May 2020

Weekly Round Up

It's been a funny old week. After being super busy the week before, this week things slowed down again and I found myself looking for things to do at some points.

I mainly focussed on finishing the reorganisation of the sewing room this week, but with that now complete, I found I had time to do a bit more quilting. (More in another post).

The decorating is coming along slowly. OH has to work on his business some days, so has limited time to spend on it, but he is getting there.  The colour is now on the wall and some of the shelves, or one coat at least. There's still other woodwork to paint, but OH has already bought the colour for the living room wall and will be progressing to decorate in there immediately after this room is finished, which is great news.

LB had to go to the doctors for some blood tests last week and got the results this week.  I was surprised to hear that she has hypothyroidism, like myself. I didn't even know that children/young people could get it. She's been put on a low dose of thyroxine.

My volunteer friend from work is feeling much better this week and is hoping to go out again from next week if he remains symptom free. I'm very happy that he has come through the virus safely.

I got some news from work this week. They are extending our furlough for another month to the end of June when the Government scheme ends. I can't say I'm 100% happy to be off for another 7 weeks, but if it is necessary, then there's not a lot I can do about it. I'll just have to find more projects to keep me occupied. I also checked what I was paid this month, whilst on furlough, and it doesn't seem any less than what I usually get.  Not sure if it is a mistake or not, so I don't want to spend it all just in case. I'm definitely not complaining about this though.

Friday was a good distraction, with lots of events going on online around the VE Day 75 celebrations.  It was good to do something completely different. It helped to reduce the feeling of Groundhog Day that I get sometimes.  I'm not bored at all,  I just feel a bit frustrated, but don't we all. We are the lucky ones. I worry for those on the frontline, who are bearing the brunt and how they might be feeling or start to feel as things calm down. It must have been hell for them to see the suffering they have seen and live with the fear of becoming ill themselves.

I watched the Queen's VE Day speech today, it was very moving, as was her account of heading out to celebrate with the crowds back in 1945. Her message was so appropriate and much needed. I loved the fact that she described the streets of the UK, not as empty, but full of love and care for one another.  That was inspired.

OH has seen lots of people flouting the guidelines this weekend, which isn't good, especially as our area has one of the worst death rates in the country. I constantly get upset by people walking, cycling or jogging too close to me when I'm out with the dog or at the supermarket.  Some people really don't seem to care. It will be interesting to see what the Prime Minister says tomorrow about easing lockdown.  I think some people think that restrictions have been lifted already.

There's another collection for the local Food Bank going on down our street this week, so I've put together another box of items. Some from my stash of things that we don't use very often, so probably won't eat or use and some I bought in specially, knowing what was on the list of things they wanted.

Since yesterday, I've been treating myself by eating my breakfast from some vintage china that's been sat in the cupboard for years unused. I was inspired by the VE day celebrations, but have decided that why not use them everyday.  Besides, tea cups are smaller than mugs and I never drink a whole mug of tea, so it makes absolute sense for me to use them. This set below is a 1960's/70's set from East Germany or GDR, it's not 1940's, but it is very pretty. On this occasion I'm eating potato cakes.
I've also been using a set that belonged to my mum, that has also been gathering dust in a cupboard. Even doing such small things gives me a daily lift.



I hope wherever you are and whatever you're doing you're having a lovely Bank Holiday Weekend.








7 comments:

  1. We have started to open up a bit and I am afraid it might be a bit too early. I would hate to see an uptick in cases.

    Glad they caught LB's hypothyroid problem early.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your daughter - having had thyroid cancer and having no thyroid now I am termed hypothyroid. I have done extensive research into this as there is an increase in the conditions related to the thyroid and thyroid cancer. I get lots of good advice from my consultant who attends many world conferences on research and is much more informed than the GP's. There are things you can do to help your thyroid perform better - it has been found that the UK is very lacking in iodine so increasing these foods that contain this mineral might help. There are also suggestions of connections with chlorine and fluoride in the water - from memory I think it might block the thyroid from working well so I always use filtered water. Also watch your intake of cruciferous vegetables and processed soya products as they also can block the performance of your thyroid. You can check out places like Thyroid UK for more information as there are also vitamins and minerals like selenium that they recommend. Aiming for a properly functioning thyroid is good as it helps when you hit those high hormone years like teenage, pregnancy and menopause as it is at these times that having an underactive thyroid really becomes a problem for a lot of people.
    As to your pay - maybe your employer is topping up the payment.
    Love the teaset - we had a great VE day up here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some very interesting information, thank you. I didn't realise that process soya was an issue. I may need to be careful not to use it too often.

      Delete
  3. Could be that your employer is topping your pay up to 100%. I know the make up of your staff is very different to the shop where I work, but I can't see how we'll get going at anywhere near capacity for quite some time, whenever/ if we reopen. Most of our staff and vols are either shielded or vulnerable, and I don't know when someone from the prison would be available. It might take a very long time for some of our ladies to feel safe enough to come back.

    Glad LB received a diagnosis quickly, even though it must have been such a shock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that they might be. They did promise that no one would fall below the living wage, so maybe that's it. We tend to have quite young volunteers and very few in the vulnerable age group, but some volunteers live with or are carers for vulnerable adults, so they probably wouldn't be able to come back too soon. To be honest I think there'll be little footfall for quite a while yet, so it's probably not worth opening the shop to customers. We may need to sell online instead.

      Delete
  4. That's a lovely idea eating from your bone china! Mmmm, potato cakes sound amazing!
    I know what you mean about worrying about people on the front line- I feel so bad about them and what I am able to do.
    I must try and catch the Queen's speech- I avoided all TV this weekend.
    I know what you mean about joggers getting too close. I have been very careful about maintaining my distance but I feel awful because yesterday, I was walking with my husband and I was looking at my phone (which I rarely ever do when walking) and it was really unfortunate I was reading something upsetting on my phone when we got to a narrow bit of path and I absentmindedly looked up as someone was coming right up to me and I didn't think what I was doing and walked right past her! My husband said, "Kezzie!!" and I suddenly realised what I'd done and felt awful! I am still feeling bad about it 2 days later!

    ReplyDelete