Wednesday 20 May 2020

Appreciating the Lockdown While I Can

I haven't posted for a few days, which is quite unusual for me whilst on lockdown, during which I've been posting more regularly than I have in a long time.

There's no particular reason for the break, I just haven't really had much to blog about. In addition, I'm trying to just appreciate what time is left of lockdown. I have a creeping feeling that I might be back at work in a few weeks time, trying to drum up online sales. Nothing specific has been said about our shop, but there was mention of the top 20 shops for selling online, reopening their online shops soon, and I think our shop comes into that category. I'm currently waiting to hear from Head Office, but it might or might not actually happen.

In case it does, I've been trying to finish off a few last jobs. I started a new quilt the other week and have today completed hand sewing the binding onto it. It's been a gradual process over the last 3 days, whilst watching TV for the most part.

What should have been a very simple make, ended up being very annoying and tricky, mainly due to the tension on my sewing machine and having to unpick stitching that wasn't right. I'm happy to finish it as a consequence.  It isn't perfect, there's the odd small pucker here and there, but it's as perfect as it's going to be.  Here's a picture (not the best I have to admit):





I do love the fabrics in this quilt. The pale grey print  closest to the camera, is a Laura Ashley ditsy print cotton and the floral print is a very pretty waxed cotton fabric. I adore the cherubs on the centre panel and the black leaf type print is also just adorable. As a consequence, it's my current favourite, but your latest quilt usually is, isn't it?

I've also got a few other tasks that I want to try and complete in the next two weeks, including a small re-upholstery job on OH's favourite chair in the kitchen, another older quilt project to try and finish, plus the making of more masks, which is probably the most important job.  In fact, I'll probably do that one first.

The weekend was another lazy one. I just stayed home and pottered around, emptied the ironing basket, made some more red onion pickle/flapjack and put our current temporary living room together after redecoration.

We're currently watching a new series on BBC 4 called State of Happiness.  It's a Norwegian series about the discovery of oil off the coast of Norway in the 1970's.  It's pretty good and you can catch it on iPlayer I think. The last two episodes are next Saturday. On Monday night, I got to watching the film Educating Rita on TV. I'd forgotten what a good film it was. I was up until gone midnight watching it, as I enjoyed it so much.

Yesterday, it was time to go to Tesco's again to do a big shop. It was the usual case of dodging people who don't seem concerned about social distancing, so I was glad to complete the shop and get home, knowing I won't have to go again for a good few weeks.

There were a few added expenses this week, as it is OH's birthday today, so I had to throw in a few bits for him and a cake, of course. I also added a few stationery items to the trolley and bought this lovely new door mat, for when we redecorate the hall.



It was a complete impulse purchase, but I don't care. I've spent so little money on non-food items lately, that it won't break the bank. I also bought a new plastic washing up bowl, to use as a foot spa. We only had very manky bowls, that OH uses to clean his bikes, which didn't appeal to me to use, so I've bought a new one with this sole purpose in mind. I've got quite a few foot products to use up and thought I'd give myself a bit of self care whilst on lockdown.  If I can get into the habit of it, I will continue when I return to work, which is when I really need to look after my feet, after standing on them all day long.

Have you been trying to get into any new habits whilst on lockdown?





No comments:

Post a Comment