Thursday 28 May 2020

Back to Work or Not

On Sunday night, I got a message from one of our volunteers informing me that the Prime Minister had announced that non-essential shops can re-open from 15th June.  In all honesty, I'd missed the announcement, so it came as quite a surprise.

I don't think our shop will open as soon as 15th June, but it does signal that things are finally going back to some sort of normality. It got me thinking about what will need to be done to get the shop prepared for allowing customers back in. There will be long lists of things to check and make safe. We will no doubt need to go in at least a week before opening, in order to help make preparations.

If I'm honest, I'm sort of looking forward to going back to work.  I've loved having this time off and I think I've used it quite productively, as well as having taken time to relax and have time out from the busyness of everyday life. I do, however, find my self wanting to get stuck in and get our shop back up and running.

Facing the prospect of possibly going back to work sometime soon, has motivated me to complete more of the projects that I had started and those that I still want to do. As a consequence, the last two days have been spent completing a few more aprons and bags using the new cotton tape I ordered from eBay, which arrived on Tuesday.

By the time I'd finished, my sewing machine had just about packed up, as the bobbin kept jamming, so I had to finish sewing on the cotton tape by hand. Hopefully, it will still be as hardwearing and secure. Luckily, these were the last things I needed to sew for a while.

I also completed half a dozen more masks, but these weren't quite as successful as the first few I made, as I made them a little big. I reduced some down in size and they'll be okay. I can wear them on my bike if I do cycle to work.

Today, I had a Zoom Q&A with work, but to be honest, I was left slightly bemused in terms of knowing what is happening, save that they hope to phase the reopening of most of the charity's shops over the next couple of months.  I guess I'll just have to wait until I hear something more specific relating to our shop. In the meantime, it gives me time to carry on with the things I still have left to do and maybe even just have a little chill time when they are done.

This afternoon, I wasn't particularly productive.  I had a couple of jobs to do in the kitchen, namely make some more dog food and more pickled red onion. I also re-potted a couple of plants, but that was the limit of my productivity today.

Tomorrow, I'm determined to crack on with sanding the chair legs from my upholstery project and hopefully get them finished and ready to wax. I must remember to order some wax on eBay to treat the wood with. That will probably be a job for next week now.

In all honesty, I feel a bit in limbo at the moment, waiting to hear what is happening with returning to work. I'm trying not to let it affect the time I have left on furlough though, as it's been a very rare opportunity to spend so much time at home, something not to be squandered.

This weekend, OH and myself are going to head out to some garden centres and try to get some bamboo plants for the end of the garden. It will make for a nice trip out, providing that social distancing doesn't make it a nightmare.

We have decided to put a hammock up in the space at the end of the garden, as LB wants one very badly and we'll do anything to get her out into the garden. To be honest, we wouldn't really use a table and chairs if we did put them there, so a hammock is probably a better option. That will be an interesting project, as OH is going to build a frame for it. I'll let you know how that one goes!






4 comments:

  1. I haven't heard a word from my charity, not when the shops closed, not to ask how we are, not to tell us what might happen over the next few weeks. I only found out that the plan is to open the shops soon after seeing an article from the person in charge of retail in a local paper about how important and wonderful volunteers are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you haven't heard anything from your charity. I'm really hoping that our charity have been keeping in contact with most of our volunteers. I believe they have been sending emails and texts, as I had to supply the addresses/numbers to them before lockdown. We aren't allowed to even look in our work emails or the shop emails due to furlough, so this might be why you haven't heard. If a core of staff haven't been retained to deal with communications, no one will be able to contact you through official channels. It would be good for you to know what is going on though. Especially if they want you to go back.

      Delete
  2. I'm back next week to school. Was originally going to be today but because we have such a dense population in our borough, I think they have held off a bit.
    I am relieved, to be honest esp since I will not be teaching music- so I won't be getting back to normal when I go back!
    Hammock sounds a nice idea. How sad that
    LB is reluctant to go into the garden- why is that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm guessing if she can speak to the press on behalf of the charity, and update social media she must be working but whatever, we already knew where we were in the pecking order!

    ReplyDelete