Thursday 21 May 2020

More Lockdown Sewing Projects

The other day, after finishing the quilt I'd currently been working on, I decided to focus my attention on making some more fabric masks for when I return to work. I'd already cut out a couple, but needed to insert the folds and sew them in place along with the elastic. This took very little time and the masks below are the result. They are slightly different sizes, but both fit pretty well.



I cut out and part sewed the fabric for another half dozen masks, but I need to iron the side edges under before putting in the folds and elastic and sewing up the sides. It won't take long once they're ironed. They are in a variety of colours and prints, as I was using up any appropriately sized scraps I had that were made from cotton fabrics.

All the masks have contrasting fabric on each side, in order to prevent me putting the dirty outer side to my face, if I take it off for any reason and then put it back on.

Trish whose blog TrishWish Living Well in Retirement, reminded me in her recent post on the subject, that I had intended to make some small drawstring bags to put the dirty masks in, for carrying home from work and throwing in the washing machine. I intend to wear more than one mask in a day, and possibly up to three. One for each journey to and from work and one to wear whilst at work. So I sewed a couple together to get me started. I'll probably do a few more in the next week or so. Here's the one's I made:


They're not co-ordinating, but I have at least used up fabrics that I might not otherwise use. I'm also intending to make a drawstring bag to carry my dance shoes around in, when I finally get back to classes. It reminds me of having a sandshoe bag at school.  Did anyone else call pumps sandshoes? It's amazing where sewing a few scrub bags can lead!!

I forgot to mention in my last post about quilting, but I found a great new quilting channel on YouTube. Karen who posts on the channel justgetitdonequilts, has created a fabulous channel with a wealth of information on quilting. I fell down a bit of a rabbit hole one day when I found her channel. Her ideas about scrap management and scrappy blocks and quilts are particularly interesting. I'd recommend taking a look.

1 comment:

  1. I always have a good selection of tea towels in my fabric stash, and I have been using plain ones to line my mask, they are more absorbent and still wash well.

    ReplyDelete